Women of Color Collective gathered to discuss sexual violence

By Marina Villeneuve | 11/15/11 2:44pm

It some­times takes a cold, driz­zly evening and a warm group of friends to share the per­spec­tives on sex­ual vi­o­lence that too often be­come over­sim­pli­fied in cam­pus-wide di­a­logues of sex­ual as­sault. Mem­bers of the ten year-old, re­cently rein­vig­o­rated, Women of Color Col­lec­tive laughed with one an­other, chal­lenged each other's ideas and at times held back tears as they dis­cussed is­sues of sex­ual vi­o­lence on Mon­day.

The "frat base­ment-cen­tric" view of sex­ual as­sault often leaves out is­sues of race, class, gen­der and cul­tural iden­tity that may af­fect an in­di­vid­ual's ex­pe­ri­ence with sex­ual vi­o­lence, ac­cord­ing to at­ten­dees, which in­cluded 20 women and one man.

The meet­ing began by a read­ing of the much-tweeted work, "Over It," writ­ten by Vagina Mono­logue au­thor and V-Day founder Eve En­sler and posted No­vem­ber 11.

"I am over rape," read one mem­ber. "I am over rape cul­ture, rape men­tal­ity, rape pages on Face­book... I am over women still being silent about rape, be­cause they are made to be­lieve it's their fault or they did some­thing to make it hap­pen."

One stu­dent pointed to the abil­ity to "like" rape-re­lated puns on Face­book pages and to web­sites like Fail­blog that re­cently took down this con­tro­ver­sial image.

"Clearly peo­ple think it's funny," said one at­tendee. "What re­ally gets me is when peo­ple have the balls to say, 'I'm so tired of girls say­ing it's rape when they wake up the next day and are just mad about it.'"

In defin­ing how such vi­o­lence af­fects sur­vivors, the group agreed, sex­ual and do­mes­tic vi­o­lence doesn't have bar­ri­ers based on race, eth­nic­ity or class - it im­pacts all com­mu­ni­ties. Yet sta­tis­tics read aloud by a '13 raised ques­tions among mem­bers about the unique ex­pe­ri­ence of com­mu­ni­ties of color in re­gards to sex­ual as­sault.

Among those in­cluded the sta­tis­tic that one third of Na­tive Amer­i­can women will be sex­u­ally abused or vi­o­lated in her life, and that African Amer­i­can fe­males ex­pe­ri­ence in­ti­mate part­ner vi­o­lence at a rate of 35 per­cent higher than white fe­males, and about 2.5 times the rate of women of other races.

Main­stream cam­pus groups' ideas about sex­u­al­ity and what it means to be a fem­i­nist may cre­ate a dis­con­nect be­tween the most vocal fem­i­nist groups and those with dif­fer­ing con­cep­tions about fem­i­nism.

"I don't want to gen­er­al­ize, but I've heard a lot from some [stu­dent groups], and their idea of sex­u­al­ity and my idea is com­pletely dif­fer­ent," one at­tendee said.

And as hard as it may be for some mi­nor­ity in­di­vid­u­als to feel com­fort­able being the "only" mi­nor­ity in an all or mostly all-white set­ting like SAPA train­ing, at­ten­dees said they could ap­pre­ci­ate how dif­fi­cult it might be when the roles were re­versed.

Yet those in at­ten­dance said above all, they seek to be part of the so­lu­tion.

"How do we as a col­lec­tive of woman of color sup­port women of color with­out forc­ing them to in­fil­trate these spaces alone?" one stu­dent asked. "How do we come up with a way in which we speak about this and sup­port this, but do it in a way where we're kind of tai­lor­ing it to his­tor­i­cal, re­li­gious and cul­tural back­grounds?"

One stu­dent de­scribed one of her goals at Dart­mouth as "to ex­pose my peers who don't nec­es­sar­ily look like me or think they can iden­tify with me" to is­sues of iden­tity and back­ground.

"Let's make this fem­i­nist move­ment a more col­or­ful move­ment," one at­tendee smiled, gar­ner­ing smiles and ap­plause from the group.

Marina Villeneuve