Stand-ins assist in Republican debate prep

By Emma Moley | 10/11/11 3:10pm

Though im­per­son­at­ing a pres­i­den­tial hope­ful may seem like a James Bond-es­que way to spend a Mon­day af­ter­noon, the Dart­mouth stu­dents serv­ing as de­bate stand-ins left Spauld­ing Au­di­to­rium look­ing rather bored by their or­deal. Sev­eral stu­dents who re­sponded to a cam­pus-wide blitz func­tioned as “height-alikes” for spe­cific can­di­dates, while oth­ers sat in the chairs sur­round­ing the table of mock can­di­dates. Mojin Chen ’15 was eat­ing in Col­lis when he was ap­proached and asked if he would sac­ri­fice a few hours of his time to be a stand-in. He agreed, har­bor­ing a se­cret hope that he might re­ceive a ticket to today’s de­bate. In­stead, he left Spauld­ing after 2.5 hours with only an empty Milk Duds box and sorely dis­ap­pointed ex­pec­ta­tions.

Most par­tic­i­pants grew weary of the lack of ac­tion on stage and sev­eral were spot­ted read­ing text­books or slyly tex­ting friends. De­spite his dis­sat­is­fac­tion with the process, Chen is still con­sid­er­ing re­turn­ing today be­fore the de­bate to re­sume his stand-in ca­reer, since the closer prox­im­ity to the ac­tual de­bate may lead to a bit ex­cite­ment, though he is very doubt­ful that he will have the chance to meet the real can­di­dates.

The stand-ins’ pur­pose was to as­sist cam­era­men, the light­ing crew and var­i­ous other co­or­di­na­tors to sort out the lo­gis­tics for today's broad­cast — cam­era an­gles, light­ing tech­niques, and spa­tial arrange­ment all de­pend on what peo­ple look like on stage.

Toni Sandys, from The Wash­ing­ton Post, worked in Spauld­ing set­ting up the wire­less net­work and tech­nol­ogy needed to stream im­ages back to the Post’s of­fices in D.C. There, her col­leagues will edit the ma­te­r­ial and up­load it to an on­line gallery by Tues­day night. Though she be­lieves ac­cess to can­di­dates will be se­verely re­stricted be­fore­hand, Sandys plans on pho­tograph­ing them dur­ing the de­bate she said. AJ Chavar, also from The Wash­ing­ton Post, lin­gered around Spauld­ing wait­ing for peo­ple to in­ter­view. He spent Mon­day af­ter­noon on the Green, shoot­ing video in­ter­views of Dart­mouth stu­dents he said. He asked sev­eral what they ex­pected to see in the de­bate and what they would like to see in terms of is­sues dis­cussed.

In prepa­ra­tion for the event, Sandys did a walk-through of the Au­di­to­rium a few weeks ago. This is her first pro­ject at Dart­mouth. Chavar said that since light­ing is sup­plied for this type of event, not much videog­ra­phy prepa­ra­tion is re­quired. Video from the event will be streamed on­line at washingtonpostlive.​com, as well as on WBIN-TV. Chavar is un­sure how many peo­ple will watch the on­line video, since he and his col­leagues are un­cer­tain of the pro­por­tion of cable ver­sus In­ter­net view­ers.

Stand-ins are needed again today be­fore the de­bate, but it is un­clear ex­actly how many Dart­mouth stu­dents will be dis­posed to re­lin­quish a rare sunny Tues­day on the Green and pa­tiently sit in Spauld­ing Au­di­to­rium in­stead.

Emma Moley