Students can win iPad in exchange for survey data

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 4/22/11 4:23pm

<="" img="">

Courtesy Of Pdfdevices.Com

Dartmouth’s Office of Institutional Research will be sending out surveys in hopes of gathering data regarding student experience at the College over the next few days. This year, participating students will be entered in a raffle for an iPad 2 after completing the online form.

The College surveys students at several points during their Dartmouth careers, especially during freshman and senior years.

While the current survey is intended to be an overview of Dartmouth as a whole, past response rates to College survyes have been low. The most recent senior survey had a response rate of 56 percent from students and “we’ve gotten response rates that have been a little lower,” Lynn Foster-Johnson, acting director of institutional research, said.

The survey is being conducted through the Office of Institutional Research, which works to provide Dartmouth’s administration with statistics and feedback about student performance and opinions. The survey was designed by the Consortium on Financing Higher Education, and this year’s survey will be administered by MIT.

While each school in the COFHE group analyzes its own data, some of the information gathered from the survey will be shared with peer institutions, Foster-Johnson said.

“We are very careful about the information that we share,” and the importance Dartmouth student’s confidentiality is taken seriously, she said.

Information from prior surveys can be seen at the Office of Institutional Research’s website.

Student surveys from 2006-2008 are available on the site, and more recent information about Dartmouth “facts and figures” from 2010 is posted.

The Dartmouth Web Staff