Dartmouth bakes, sets alarms for Will and Kate

By Winnie Yoe | 4/29/11 8:59pm

<="" img="">

Cour­tesy Of People.​Com

Two of my friends and I were among them. We woke up at 6 a.m. to watch the wed­ding, partly be­cause we didn’t want to miss a his­tor­i­cal mo­ment, partly be­cause I’m writ­ing this post and partly be­cause we thought play­ing the royal wed­ding drink­ing game be­fore our 10s would be fun.

For bet­ter or for worse, the game did not hap­pen be­cause we were all half-asleep, but we did see Kate Mid­dle­ton grace­fully walk down the 300 meter aisle at West­min­ster Abbey in her stun­ning Sarah Bur­ton-de­signed Alexan­der Mc­Queen gown.

“They put trees [in West­min­ster], I would want to get mar­ried there,” Friend One said.

“Well that’s what en­vi­ron­men­tal stud­ies does to you,” Friend Two replied.

We waited for the new Duke and Duchess of Cam­bridge to say their vows and an­tic­i­pated the kiss.

“Wait, why did she put up her veil? Aren’t they sup­posed to kiss?!’’

Turned out it wouldn’t hap­pen until an hour later at Buck­ing­ham Palace. We watched the beau­ti­ful new­ly­weds and the royal fam­ily wav­ing at the bal­cony of the palace, lis­ten­ing to the op­ti­mistic com­men­ta­tor say, “It doesn’t mat­ter how long they kiss since last time Charles and Diana kissed for a long time but their re­la­tion­ship didn’t work out.”

With some kind of bliss in the air, we went back to sleep.

While most of us waited until Fri­day to cel­e­brate, Late Night Col­lis started the fes­tiv­i­ties with its Buck­ing­ham Palace Scones on Thurs­day.

<="" img="">

Sarah Streeter ’12 or­ga­nized Sigma Delt’s wed­ding watch — which fea­tured with Lou’s bagels, muffins, pas­tries and cof­fee — be­cause “it is a re­ally cool and un­usual event,” she said.

The early birds weren’t dis­ap­pointed.

“Every­one was re­ally ex­cited about it, it was a fun event,” Eliz­a­beth Tran­del ’12 said. “It was ab­surd be­cause it was so early and peo­ple were com­ment­ing on how pretty her dress was.”

Sara Stone ’13 woke up for the wed­ding at 5 a.m. be­cause her mother is Eng­lish. She said she has been to Eng­land so many times that it would be “weird” to not watch the event.

“Its fun to hear peo­ple’s opin­ions, watch what every­one in West­min­ster was wear­ing as a guest, look­ing at the hats, see­ing Prince Harry in the back­ground,” Stone said about the at­mos­phere at Sigma Delt. “Peo­ple were laugh­ing, say­ing ‘Oh she’s turn­ing a princess’, ‘true love’.”

Royal wed­ding fever was vis­i­ble across cam­pus. Sev­eral other soror­i­ties hosted events, though we have yet to hear about any fra­ter­nity fes­tiv­i­ties. All the tele­vi­sions in the gym showed footage of the new­ly­weds. And the photo of William and Kate kiss­ing on the bal­cony was used in my psy­chol­ogy lec­ture dur­ing an ex­pla­na­tion of how peo­ple form long-term mem­ory.

<="" img="">

Cour­tesy Of The New York Times

Winnie Yoe