Where are they now? Following up with six Class of 2018 athletes who are playing at the next level

Jack Heneghan 

After a successful senior season with the Big Green, Quarterback Jack Heneghan ’18 walked away from his college career with plenty of accolades. Heneghan was an All-Ivy Honorable mention quarterback and won several other awards with his dominant senior year performance. He led a Big Green team that took second place in the Ivy League, dealing the eventual champions, the Yale Bulldogs, their only loss of the 2017 season. Heneghan went undrafted but was signed as a free agent by the San Francisco 49ers and performed well in camp. He had a notable game in the fourth and final preseason game when he completed 8 of 9 for 58 yards. He did not make the 49ers practice squad, but time will tell as to whether Heneghan will get another chance. He showed plenty of promise in the opportunity he was given.

Alvin Heumann

Alvin Heumann ’18 had a memorable accolade-filled career on the Dartmouth squash team, as he was named to both the All-Ivy First Team and the College Squash Association All-American team twice. Since graduating from Dartmouth, he has gone professional by competing as a player within the Professional Squash Association. In the past year, he has participated in tournaments such as the Life Time Chicago Open 2017, ILT & Community Trust NZ Southern Open 2018, Squash XL Open 2018, South Australian Open 2018 and the City of Greater Bendigo International 2018. In the most recent competition, he reached the quarterfinals before falling to E. Corigliano 3-0. He currently has a world ranking of 260.

Ryder Stone

A year ago, Ryder Stone ’18 was a force for the Big Green, carrying the load for Dartmouth out of the backfield as running back. This Canadian Football League season however, Stone has made a name for himself on the Montreal Alouettes as their second back. He has rushed for 105 yards on 22 touches, caught three balls out of the backfield and even recorded 225 kickoff-return yards. He has made a much larger role for himself in the Montreal offense and has been able to start getting regular touches. With an increased workload, Stone has the chance to become a permanent staple in the Alouette offense. Stone got his first opportunity in a catch out of the backfield in week four of the CFL season. Since then, he started to get a more regular workload out of the backfield starting week 11. In week 12, Stone had 14 carries for 81 yards, a very respectable number for the rookie. Stone has shown promise when given the opportunity, as he has averaged 4.8 yards per rush. The sample size is quite small, but if Stone can continue to take advantage of opportunities that are sure to come his way, he can continue his push to become a solid running back in the CFL.

Morgan Turner 

Hailing from Chicago, Illinois, Morgan Turner ’18 was drafted by an expansion team of the Canadian Women’s Hockey League, the Worcester Blades, on Aug. 26. Only days before the draft, the team moved from Boston to Worcester, after originally coming to Boston in 2010. Turner is coming off a senior season with the Big Green in which she was an alternate captain who scored once and had four assists for five points total. Over her Dartmouth career of 103 games, she was a well-respected leader and tallied a total of four goals and five assists for nine points total. Turner was signed before the draft and was drafted in the second round, much like her teammate Ailish Forfar ’16, who was signed by the Markham Thunder. Turner is looking to play a big role in the foundation of the expansion team in the growing professional league for women’s ice hockey.

Wyatt Omsberg

Defender Wyatt Omsberg ’18 was drafted by the Minnesota United FC 15th overall in the 2018 SuperDraft and officially signed on Feb. 28, 2018. The MLS was once known for hosting European super stars past their prime, but Omsberg is part of a group of young American soccer players who are trying to find success in this rapidly growing league. With fan bases such as Atlanta’s exploding over the past year or so, the prospects for the league as a whole are looking bright. However, Omsberg needs to make the most of his limited appearances with Minnesota United going forward. He has not recorded any goals in the season’s six games so far, but he has started in four games and been given more opportunities after not starting the first two. Omsberg was named the Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year twice and was on the All-Ivy first-team three times. During his senior year, he was a crucial component of a defense that only allowed 12 goals.

Devin Buffalo

After a year as one of the best goalies in the East Coast Athletic Conference, Devin Buffalo ’18 has moved on to minor league hockey, joining the Greenville Swamp Rabbits in the ECHL. He is going into training camp as one of two new goalies. Buffalo is looking to make a name for himself as a good goaltender in this mid-level professional league. The Swamp Rabbits are a fairly new addition to the ECHL, as they are still looking for American Hockey League and National Hockey League affiliates. If Buffalo is able to establish himself as a dominant goalie in camp and during the start of the season, he has the opportunity to put his name out there and quickly get noticed by AHL and NHL scouts, both with the impending affiliation and other scouts around the league. While Buffalo has a chance to move up the ranks as the 2018-19 season approaches, time will tell if the recent graduate will be able to capture the starting job and begin to move up the ranks in North American hockey.

Correction appended (Sept. 17, 2018): This article has been updated to reflect the correct name of the minor league Devin Buffalo '18 joined. While the East Coast Hockey League was the original name of the league at its inception in 1988, it was formally changed to just ECHL in 2003 after seven expansion teams from the western U.S. joined.