Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Support independent student journalism. Support independent student journalism. Support independent student journalism.
The Dartmouth
June 19, 2024 | Latest Issue
The Dartmouth

The Weekend Roundup: Week 7

Men’s soccer

The Big Green tightened its grip on first place in the Ivy League with a 2-1 win over Columbia University on Saturday. By knocking off the Lions, whose 2-0-1 league record previously had them tied with the Big Green for the league lead, Dartmouth took a big step toward securing its fourth straight Ivy League title.

Dartmouth got on the board first in the 14th minute when Eduvie Ikoba ’19 took a Dawson McCartney ’21 cross in front of the net and headed it in toward the right post. Ikoba leads the team with seven goals, three more than Matt Danilack ’18 and Wyatt Omsberg ’18. The header was the only goal of the first half as Dartmouth held the Lions without a shot. Two minutes into the second half, Noah Paravicini ’19 padded the lead with right-footed shot off a centering pass from Zach Kalk ’20. Christopher Palacios ’21 held onto a shutout through 85 minutes and was inches away from his seventh clean sheet of the season, but a shot from Columbia’s John Denis barely crossed the goal line with less than five minutes to go. Columbia upped the pressure in the second half with seven shots to Dartmouth’s five, but the Big Green held on for the 2-1 win.

Women’s soccer

Dartmouth lost 3-0 to league-leading Columbia University on Saturday, the fourth shutout in five Ivy League games for the Big Green.

Columbia’s Emily Koe put Dartmouth in a hole in the 11th minute, barreling into the box to put away a pass from Amaris Hemmings. Hemmings did the work herself on Columbia’s next goal, crossing in a ball from the right side of the box to putting the Lions up 2-0 in the 66th minute. An own goal by the Big Green in the 82nd minute gave Columbia the final 3-0 margin. The Lions have yet to allow a goal in conference play, while Dartmouth has scored just one Ivy goal.


Saturday’s matchup with Columbia University followed a script that has become familiar this season: fall behind early and rally in the second half. But this week the comeback fell short. Quarterback Jack Heneghan ’18 was sacked on first and goal in the final seconds, letting the Lions escape with a 22-17 win. Columbia’s miracle season continues while Dartmouth falls one game back in the Ivy League standings with four conference games left on the schedule.

The offense started slow, leaving Dartmouth behind 16-0 at halftime and down 22-7 at the end of the third quarter. A David Smith ’18 field goal with 14:11 remaining made it a two-possession game. Columbia marched down the field on the ensuing possession and was threatening to score, driving to the Big Green’s 14-yard line. But Bun Straton ’19 plucked an Anders Hill pass out of the air in the end zone to put Dartmouth’s offense back on the field, and the Big Green looked to be heating up for its customary fourth-quarter comeback. With Dartmouth in Columbia territory, Heneghan lofted a pass to Drew Estrada ’20 out of the backfield and Estrada scampered down the sideline to make the score 22-17. Columbia went three-and-out on the next possession and Dartmouth drove within 11 yards of the end zone but was forced to turn the ball over on downs. The Big Green got the ball back at its own 31-yard line for a final drive with 58 seconds remaining. Heneghan’s terrific fourth-quarter play continued as he marshaled Dartmouth down to the Columbia seven. But a blind-side sack by Columbia’s Mike Hinton drove Dartmouth back and time expired as the referees fumbled to spot the ball for the next play.

Dartmouth had plenty of missed opportunities before the final play. The Big Green was 0-for-9 on third down, converted two of five red zone opportunities and lost the time of possession battle by nearly 10 minutes. Heneghan had a 300-yard day and was Dartmouth’s leading rusher with 48 yards. Wide receiver Hunter Hagdorn ’20 totaled 100 yards on eight catches, including an athletic one-handed grab in the fourth quarter. The Dartmouth defense kept Columbia’s ground game in check, holding the Lions under three yards per carry. The Lions did the bulk of their offensive damage through the air and finished with one passing touchdown and a pair of rushing scores.

With the loss, Dartmouth no longer controls its own destiny in the Ivy League. The Big Green is tied with Princeton University, Yale University and surprise contender Cornell University for second place and will look to get back on track against Harvard University next weekend.

Women’s ice hockey

Caroline Shaunessy ’19 put in Dartmouth’s first goal of the 2017-18 season but Dartmouth lost its opener 4-1 at Harvard University on Friday.

Harvard opened the scoring with four minutes remaining in the first period. Crimson first-year Lexie Laing’s initial shot was saved by Christine Honor ’19 but rebounded back to Laing, who put it between the pipes. Harvard’s Kat Hughes capitalized on a five-on-three power play in the second period, firing from long range to make it 2-0. Shaunessy’s tally came at the 11:24 mark of the third period. Christi Rombaut ’20 won the faceoff and passed to Shaunessy at the point, who spun and fired into the back of the net. However, Harvard quickly put in two more goals to ice the game and hand Dartmouth a season-opening loss for the second straight year.

The next day, Shaunessy again had Dartmouth’s lone goal in a non-conference road matchup at the University of New Hampshire. This time out, Honor was pulled after allowing four goals in the first 24 minutes. Shannon Ropp came on to relieve Honor during the second period. Shaunessy’s goal came on a five-on-three power play with less than six minutes remaining in the game. UNH scored twice more before the period ended for a final score of 6-1. 

Field hockey

Dartmouth came back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Columbia University 3-2 on Saturday, earning its second conference win of the season.

Columbia leapt out front in the first half. The Lions’ first goal came on a penalty corner after 11:07 of play when a shot was deflected past goaltender Hailey Valerio ’19. Columbia found the net on another corner play just before the 25-minute mark. Dartmouth’s first opportunity, also on a penalty corner, came two minutes later. Katie Spanos ’20 was left unguarded in the slot and she easily knocked in a pass from Gemma Bautista ’19 at the top of the circle. Spanos was not finished, as she made the assist on the game-tying marker in the 55th minute. Taking the ball up the far side of the field, Spanos hit Tatum Schultz ’21 in stride and Schultz snuck a shot past keeper Katie Dempsey. The 2-2 score sent the game to overtime, where Taylor Hantman ’21 took a rebound from the middle of the circle and finished off the Lions with her first career goal. The Big Green has a chance to win three in a row for the first time this season when it faces the College of the Holy Cross on Tuesday.


Harvard University handed Dartmouth its fifth loss in eight league games this season in a tight three-set affair in Hanover.

Dartmouth had the lead early in the first set, but after the teams battled back to an 11-11 tie, the Crimson opened up a narrow lead and held it until the end of the set. Both teams hit well, Harvard finishing with a hitting percentage of .455 and Dartmouth a mark of .364. In the second set, kills by Tori Dozier ’20 and Sara Lindquist ’18 helped Dartmouth to a 12-10 lead. Harvard inched back ahead, however, and rode a small lead to a 25-22 win. Samantha Bozoian ’19 opened the third set strong for Dartmouth with three straight kills as the Big Green stormed out to a 7-1 lead, the largest by either team at any point of the match. But Harvard clawed back the deficit to tie things up 14-14. With the set tied 22-22, a 3-1 Harvard run ended the night.

Men’s tennis

The Big Green was stymied in singles at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Northeast Regionals, which began Wednesday, but sent two of three doubles teams through to the semifinals.

The opening day was sparkling for the Big Green, who went 11-0 through four singles qualifiers, five first-round singles matches and a pair of first-round doubles matches. Charlie Broom ’20, Dan Martin ’21, Ciro Riccardi ’18 and John Speicher ’21 all had singles wins the following day, as did doubles pairings Broom/Roko Glasnovic ’19, Martin/David Horneffer ’20 and Max Fliegner ’18/Peter Conklin ’21. Broom and Speicher fell in the round of 32 but Riccardi beat his Cornell University opponent in straight sets and Martin won when his Columbia University opponent retired. Riccardi and Martin were both downed in straight sets in the round of 16.

The Big Green’s Regionals journey ended on Sunday. Columbia University opponents downed all three Dartmouth doubles teams, Horneffer/Martin in the quarterfinals and Fliegner/Conklin and Glasnovic/Broom in the semifinals.

Women’s tennis

The women’s tennis team competed over the weekend at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Northeast Regionals, which began Thursday, as well as the Brown Invitational.

Dartmouth went 5-2 on the first day of ITA Regionals. Doubles teams Abigail Chiu ’21/Julia Schroeder ’18 and Kristina Mathis ’18/Racquel Lyn ’20 each won their two opening-day matches and Allison McCann ’20 picked up a win in singles. Chiu, Lyn, McCann and Schroeder fell in singles on day two while Mathis bested opponents from Sacred Heart University and Yale University to enter the round of 16, where she defeated Olaya Inclan Solis from St. John’s University on day three. Both doubles teams won their Round of 16 and quarterfinal matches to advance to the semifinal.

On the final day, Mathis lost her singles quarterfinal match. In the doubles semifinal, Schroeder and Chiu downed a Columbia University duo in a three-set match. Mathis and Lyn also defeated their Harvard University opponents in three sets, leaving the two Dartmouth teams to play each other for the Northeast region title.This match too went to a super breaker. Mathis and Lyn won the first set 6-3 but Schroeder and Chiu rallied to win the next set by the same score. In a very close super breaker, Schroeder and Chiu won 11-9 and took the title.

The other half of the team played at Brown University. Dartmouth’s doubles teams of Chuyang Guan ’20/Jasmine Abidi ’21 and Allison Chuang ’19/Shannon Mukerji ’18 defeated their Boston College challengers on Saturday but lost to their Brown counterparts. In singles, Dartmouth was 1-3 against the both the Eagles and the Bears.

Cross country

While part of the men’s and women’s cross country teams prepare for the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships next weekend, some team members competed at the Central Connecticut State University Mini Meet at Stanley Quarter Park in New Britain, Connecticut. The women placed second with 72 points, while the men finished 10th with 314 points.

Rachel Ludwikowski ’21 finished third overall, completing the 3-kilometer course in 10:19.5. Close behind in sixth was Grace Thompson ’19, finishing in a time of 10:30.1. Dartmouth’s remaining three scorers finished within four seconds of each other, as Anna Clark ’19 (10:40.4), Angela Ortlieb ’19 (10:42.2) and Anna DiMarcello ’21 (10:44.5) finished 19th, 21st and 23rd, respectively.

The men’s team fielded a scoring team full of first-years. Sam Morton ’21 shined, finishing 12th to cover the 5-kilometer course in 15:27.9. Brian Mass ’21  finished 53rd in 16:06.4, while Griffin Mackey ’21 completed the race in 16:36.8, good for 75th place. William Phinney ’21 (17:00.7) and Tim Zepf ’21 (17:05.6) rounded out the scoring runners for the Big Green, finishing in 85th and 89th places, respectively.

Next week, both men’s and women’s teams will compete at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships on Oct. 27 at Van Cortlandt Park in New York, New York.

Men's golf

Men’s golf traveled to Camden, South Carolina over the weekend to compete in the Camden Collegiate Invitational hosted by the University of South Carolina. The Big Green played two rounds of golf on Saturday and one on Sunday to complete the invitational. Ian Kelsey ’18 led the way for Dartmouth on Saturday, carding a four-under 66 in his first round, second best in the field, and a three-over 73 in his second round. Kelsey finished the day tied-for-ninth. Jason Liu ’21 had a consistent Saturday, turning in one-over 71s in both of his Day 1 rounds, putting him at 21st overall. Dartmouth ended the day 9th in the 17-team field.

On Sunday, James Turner ’21 played his best round of the tournament, leading the Big Green with a two-over 72. Kelsey concluded his weekend with a six-over 76 to finish tied-for-17th in the field. As a team, Dartmouth placed tied-for-ninth in the invitational, while host South Caroline won.  


Men’s heavyweight and lightweight rowing and women’s rowing competed at the historic Head of the Charles Regatta in Cambridge Massachusetts on Saturday and Sunday. The Big Green had a strong Saturday, finishing in the top 10 in each of their four races for the day. The Men’s Club Fours began the day for Dartmouth, finishing second in the 52-team field with a time of 16:32.740. The Women’s Club Fours followed up the Men’s Club Fours with another strong race, finishing in 18:29.893 to place fourth. In Dartmouth’s third race of the day, the Men’s Club Eights crossed the finish line in ninth with a time of 15:06.594. Rounding out the day for Dartmouth, the Women’s Club Eights ended the race in 17:12.228 to place eighth out of 40 teams. 

On Sunday, in their first race of the day, the Men’s Lightweight Fours placed sixth out of 17 teams with a time of 16:13.805. The Men’s Championship Eights finished in 13:56.202 to cross the finish line in 10th place. Ending the weekend for the Big Green, the Women’s Championship Eights ended their race in 21st with a time of 15:49.135. 

Men’s heavyweight and lightweight rowing and women’s rowing will compete next weekend in the Princeton Chase in Princeton, New Jersey. 


The sailing team competed in multiple locations across New England, hosting the Mrs. Hurst Bowl and sending sailors to Brown University’s Sherman Hoyt Trophy and Northeastern University’s Oberg Trophy.

Day one of the Sherman Hoyt Trophy brought warm temperatures and a 6 to 8 knot southeast breeze that shifted throughout the day. A light 5 to 7 knot southerly allowed several more races on Sunday. Christopher Williford ’19 and Rebecca McElvain ’19 represented Dartmouth in division A and finished as the top crew of the regatta. McElvain and Williford earned three wins and totaled just 75 points across 14 races. In division B, Duncan Wiliford ’18 and Paige Clarke ’20 sailed to an 11th-place finish. Dartmouth finished fourth overall with 220 points, 26 points behind the regatta winner, College of Charleston.

Full results for the Mrs. Hurst Bowl and the Oberg Trophy were not available at press time.