The Weekend Roundup: Week Nine

Women's Squash:

On Friday, the Big Green cruised past No. 16 Middlebury College 9-0 to advance to the semifinals of the Krutz Cup in Division B of the College Squash Association Team Nationals in Princeton, New Jersey. Annie Blasberg ’20, Julia Potter ’20, Zainab Molani ’18, Becky Brownell ’18 and Junnat Anwar ’20 all dominated their opponents with straight set victories.

On Saturday, the team defeated No. 12 George Washington University 6-3 to advance to the finals. Both Molani and Janel Gaube ’18 won in extremely tight five game sets with final respective scores of 5-11, 2-11, 11-7, 12-10, 11-8 and 12-10, 6-11, 7-11, 11-5, 12-10.

In the finals, Dartmouth defeated No. 14 Drexel University 5-4 to claim the B Division Championship. The Big Green also defeated the Dragons in the finals last year at New Haven, Connecticut. With the match tied 4-4, it all came down to Brownell’s match against Mary Fung-a-Fat. Despite dropping the first two games, she rallied with an incredibly clutch performance to claim victory with a final score of 5-11, 5-11, 11-7, 11-5, 11-6. Madeline Fraser ’17, Emma Roberts ’19, Anwar and Gaube all cruised to three-game victories.

Skiing:

For the first time since 2010, the Big Green is officially the top dog in the East. The skiing teams scored 896 points to win the 2017 Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association Championship held Friday and Saturday at Bates College, besting longtime foe University of Vermont by 76 points.

Despite the rainy weather, which held Friday’s giant slalom to one run, Big Green skiers continued to dominate. Foreste Peterson ’18 took the top step of the podium for the women, her third giant slalom win on the 2017 carnival circuit. The other Dartmouth scorers were Kelly Moore ’18 in fourth and Steph Currie ’18 in sixth. On the men’s side, Brian McLaughlin ’18 won the giant slalom for the second straight week. Tanguy Nef ’20, who finished six hundredths of a second behind McLaughlin, earned a podium spot in second, with Thomas Woolson ’17 rounding out the scoring in fourth.

The women’s Nordic team had an off day in the 5-kilometer classic on Friday. Dartmouth’s top finisher was Zoe Snow ’18 in eighth, leading the women to a fourth place finish overall in the event. The men fared better on the day, finishing second overall in the 10-kilometer classic. Fabian Stocek ’17 and Callan DeLine ’18 just missed podium spots in fourth and fifth.

For the second time in three weeks, the slalom vexed the men’s alpine team. Standouts McLaughlin and Nef both fell in their first runs and did not finish. Woolson did his part by grabbing the third step of the podium, but the Big Green posted a season-low 67 points on the day, finishing in sixth overall. In the women’s slalom, five Dartmouth skiers finished inside the top 10. Alexa Dlouhy ’19 and Peterson were fourth and fifth, with Moore, Currie and Hannah Melinchuk ’19 a few spots back in eighth, ninth and tenth, respectively.

The women’s Nordic team bounced back on Saturday with a strong performance. Lauren Jortberg ’20 turned on the jets in the latter half of the season, winning the classic sprint relay last weekend at Middlebury College and topping the podium at Bates in the 15-kilometer freestyle. Jortberg led nearly wire-to-wire after the mass start and triumphed by nearly 19 seconds. Lydia Blanchet ’19 and Abby Drach ’20 finished in sixth and seventh, around a minute after Jortberg. Stocek won the 20-kilometer freestyle for the men, making him the only Dartmouth skier to top the podium in every carnival this season. Behind Stocek, Luke Brown ’18 and Gavin McEwen ’19 were fourth and fifth.

After their best carnival season in six years, the Big Green ski teams now turn their eyes to the NCAA Championships, which begin March 8 in Jackson, New Hampshire. Dartmouth will look to improve on its fifth-place performance last season.

Baseball:

The baseball team opened its season in Port Charlotte, Florida on Saturday with a doubleheader versus Eastern Michigan University and St. Bonaventure University. Left fielder Matt Feinstein ’19 recorded three hits, while designated hitter Michael Calamari ’20, second baseman Dustin Shirley ’18 and first baseman Michael Ketchmark ’17 each knocked in two runs, en route to an 8-4 victory over the Eagles. Beau Sulser ’16 threw five strong innings of one-run baseball to earn his first win of the season.

In their second game of the day, the men lost to St. Bonaventure in an 8-7 thriller. Feinstein continued his strong play, tallying two singles and three runs batted in. Cole O’Connor ’19 started the day for the Big Green, giving up seven hits and four runs, though only two were earned. Down three runs in the ninth inning, Dartmouth rallied for two more runs, before falling to the Bonnies.

On Sunday, the Big Green avenged its loss to St. Bonaventure with a 13-1 win to close out the weekend. The Big Green outhit St. Bonaventure 18-4, while Feinstein and Shirley recorded four hits apiece. In five innings of work, Michael Danielak ’16 shutout the Bonnies and struck out six.

The baseball team will return to action with three games against Miami University this weekend.

Softball:

On Friday, the first day of the Mardi Gras Classic, the softball team fell in its first two games of the season to Drake University and University of Louisiana at Lafayette 3-2 and 12-5, respectively. Against Drake, the Big Green sent its most experienced pitcher, Breanna Ethridge ’18, who pitched seven strikeouts while only giving up two runs. However, the team ultimately fell in the 10th inning after the Bulldogs’ Megan Sowa hit a single to left center to plate Taryn Pena for a walk-off victory. Against Louisiana-Lafayette, the Ragin’ Cajuns exploded in the seventh inning for five runs to eliminate any potential Big Green comeback.

On the second day of the Mardi Gras Classic, the Big Green again dropped both games, falling to Bradley University 6-3 and to Mississippi Valley State University 13-5. Despite the Big Green’s early 2-0 lead, Bradley rallied to score four runs in the fifth inning. Against Mississippi Valley State, Morgan Ebow ’20 got her first start for Dartmouth but gave up a grand slam to the Delta Devils’ Deja Talton in the first inning. Talton finished her perfect game with an astounding six runs-batted-in through four hits in four plate appearances.

In its final game of the Mardi Gras Classic, the Big Green tied against the University of Maryland 5-5. Pitching for the Big Green, Tessa Grossman ’20 allowed six hits and struck out two players. Maddie Damore ’17 led the team by scoring three runs, while Claire Bird ’18 added two more. The team recorded a total of nine hits.

Track & Field:

This weekend at the 2017 Ivy League Heptagonal Indoor Championship at The Armoy in Manhattan, Dartmouth’s men’s track and field team tied in third with Yale University with a total of 78 points, trailing behind second place finish Cornell University by 15 points. Princeton University won its fifth straight title with 135 points.

Max Cosculluela ’17 earned Second-Team All-Ivy League honors in the pole vault, bringing home eight points. Nico Robinson ’17 also earned Second-Team All-Ivy honors after placing second in the men’s heptathlon. By clearing 16-6.75 feet/5.05 meters, Cosculluela achieved second place overall for the second year in the row.

In the men’s weight throw, Timothy Brennan ’17 secured third place with his 65-1.5 feet/19.85 meters throw on his fifth attempt, adding six points to the Big Green’s scoring. In the long jump, Corey Muggler ’17 earned fourth-place with a 23-11.0 feet/7.29 meter jump. In the 3000-meter run, Connor Clark ’17 ran a 8:15.87 to take sixth place overall, contributing one point to the Big Green. In the high jump, Alex Frye ’17 secured fourth place with a 2.04m, earning four points. In the triple jump, Justin Donawa ’19 and Muggler secured third and fourth place respectively, earning six and four points.

In the 500-meter dash, Phil Gomez ’17 finished in fourth place. In the 1000-meter run, both Reed Horton ’19 and Henry Raymond ’20 qualified for the finals. In the finals, Raymond and Horton finished in third and fifth with respective times of 2:25.10 and 2:25.47. In the preliminaries of the mile run, Patrick Gregory ’18 finished first with a time of 4:12.21 and placed fourth in the finals with a 4:13.19, bringing home four points. In the 5000-meter run, Kyle Dotterer ’18 finished in third with a 14:19.25. In the 60-meter hurdles, Parker Johnson ’19 secured sixth in the finals by finishing in 8.19 seconds, earning one point. In the 4x800 meter relay, Trevor Colby ’19, Horton, Raymond and Gregory finished with a 7:35.51, earning six points. In the distance medley, the Big Green team of Dominic Carrese ’19, Johnson, Miles Irish ’18 and Michael Thurston ’20 finished with a 10:00.34 time, earning two points.

On the women’s side, the track and field team took sixth with 62 points. Harvard University won its fifth straight title with 125 points. Distinguishing feats included Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 setting a new Dartmouth record and the sixth best Heps record for the long jump with a 20-3.0 feet/6.17 meter jump, and an all-time Ivy League record of 8.30 in the 60m hurdles. At the post-meet awards presentation, Rothwell won the Most Outstanding Female Field Performer. Additionally, Rothwell was fourth in the finals of the 60-meter run, earning four points. At the end of the weekend, Rothwell contributed 24 points to Dartmouth’s team total of 62.

Over in the pole vault, Julia Valenti ’20 cleared 12-7.5 feet/3.85m on her first try, tying for third and earning five points for the Big Green. In the weight throw, Amelia Ali ’19 earned six points by securing third place with a 60-9.25 feet/18.52m throw. In the pentathlon, Maria Garman ’19 and Miranda Lawson ’17 each picked up two and one points respectively, as Garman was fifth and Lawson sixth.

For the second year in a row, Helen Schlachtenhaufen ’17 was the winner of the mile, winning the race in a 4:46.25. Claire Dougherty ’20 finished in sixth in the 500-meter final, running a 1:14.90. Schlachtenhaufen and Dougherty were also part of the women’s distance medley relay with Aliyah Gallup ’17 and Eliza Dekker ’19, winning second place in the event. Shanthi Hiremath ’20 placed sixth in the triple jump with her final jump measuring 38-1.5 feet/11.62m, while Bridget Flynn ’18 took sixth in the 800-meter with a time of 2:11.01. Nicole Deblasio ’19 secured sixth in the 200-meter final with a time of 24.93s.

Men's Swimming & Diving:

From Feb. 22 to Feb. 25, the men’s swimming and diving team competed in the 2017 Ivy League Championship in Cambridge, Massachusetts, a tournament consisting of all the Ivy League universities except for Princeton University due to its suspension on Dec. 15, 2016 after posting lewd content on the team’s mailing list.

On day one, the team placed last in the 200-yard medley relay despite finishing with their fastest time of the season. In the 800-yard freestyle relay, the team edged Brown University by less than two-tenths of a second to grab sixth place. At the conclusion of the two events, the team stood in last place with 94 points.

Day two included the 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley, 50-yard freestyle, 1-meter diving and 200-yard freestyle relay. AJ Krok ’19 was the first Dartmouth athlete to make it into the A final, and he ended up placing sixth on the 1-meter diving board. By the end of the day, the Big Green accumulated a total of 198 points to remain in last place.

Day three included the 400-yard individual medley, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, 100-yard backstroke, 1000-yard free-style and 400-yard medley relay. David Harmon ’17 broke his own record by 1.77 seconds in the 100-yard fly with a new time of 48.18, placing ninth. At the end of the day, the Big Green remained in last place with 376 points.

The final day included the 200-yard backstroke, 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard breaststroke, 200-yard butterfly, 3-meter diving and 400-yard relay. In the 3-meter diving final, both Krok and Taylor Clough ’17 finished in the A final in sixth and fourth respectively. By the end of the tournament, the Big Green finished in seventh with 561 points, 235 points behind sixth place Brown. Harvard University finished in first with 1,705 points.

Men's Basketball:

On Friday, the men’s basketball team fell 80-75 to Brown University at Leede Arena despite Evan Boudreaux ’19’s 25 points and 10 rebounds. The Big Green fell into a deep hole from the very start, facing a 32-12 deficit with seven minutes left to play in the first period. The team valiantly rallied back in the second half to get within three with 53 seconds remaining, but Taylor Johnson ’18’s shot rolled off the rim with 17 seconds left. A key difference in the game was the difference in free throw percentage; Brown converted 21 out of 25 free throw attempts, while the Big Green only made 26 out of 38. With the win, Brown broke a five game losing streak.

On Saturday, the men were defeated by Yale University 99-86 at home. Boudreaux matched a career-high 27 points and collected 12 rebounds to lead the Big Green to a season-high 86 points. The Big Green kept it a close game at 77-76 with seven minutes to play, but Yale’s offense went on a scoring burst to solidify the win. The Big Green now holds an overall record of 6-19 and an Ivy League record of 3-9. With only two Ivy League games remaining, the Big Green’s chances of making the Ivy League Tournament are very slim but still mathematically possible.

On Friday, the women’s basketball team defeated Brown 92-88 in overtime at the Pizzitola Sports Center. The game was a back-and-forth affair with 17 lead changes. Andi Norman ’18 made five 3-pointers to lead all scorers with a total of 22 points. In the final minute of overtime, Olivia Smith ’18 helped seal the victory for the Big Green by making a jumper, adding a free throw and recording a last-minute steal.

However, the team fell to Yale University 58-44 on Saturday. Kate Letkewicz ’18 led all scorers with 17 points. The team kept within single digits of Yale until the second period when the Bulldogs went on an 11-point scoring burst to go ahead. The win and loss over the weekend pushed the Big Green’s overall record to 7-18 and Ivy League record to 2-10. The Big Green will wrap up its season at home against the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University next weekend.

Men's Hockey:

No. 20 St. Lawrence University scored two unanswered goals late in the third period to hand Dartmouth a 5-4 loss on Friday at Thompson Arena. After finding themselves down 3-1 late in the second period, the men showed some resilience and scored three unanswered of their own, including two power play tallies from Corey Kalk ’18, who registered his first career hat-trick. The loss dropped the Green and White back into ninth place in the Eastern College Athletic Conference standings behind Princeton University.

“[St. Lawrence] found a way,” head coach Bob Gaudet ’81 said. “It was disappointing for us because I thought we played well enough to win the game.”

While Dartmouth kept St. Lawrence goaltender Kyle Hayton busy early in the game, the Saints got on the board 15:26 into the opening period after Mike Graham picked Will Graber ’20’s pocket in the Dartmouth zone. Taggart Corriveau collected the loose puck and put a nifty move on Devin Buffalo ’18 before slipping the puck into the back of the net. Kalk tied it up at one apiece 1:00 into the second, knocking home a rebound after Troy Crema ’17’s initial try. St. Lawrence goals from New Hampshire talent Gavin Bayreuther and Drew Smolcynski put the Saints up 3-1 before Graber made up for his first period blemish with 2:33 to go in the second, beginning Dartmouth’s comeback.

“It was a good test for us against a top-20 team that is going to finish top-four in the league,” Kalk said after his career night. “We now know where we have to set the bar before playoffs begin.”

Dartmouth came out firing in the third, and when Kalk beat Hayton low glove-side from the left circle to put Dartmouth up 4-3, it looked like St. Lawrence would have to wait to clinch the ECAC’s No. 4 seed. Buffalo made some key saves to keep St. Lawrence at bay, but he was unable to deny the Saints down the stretch, including Michael Ederer’s game winner from the top of the left circle.

Buffalo finished with 17 saves, while Hayton registered 28 of his own, including 14 in the first period, to earn the win. In addition to out-shooting the Saints 32-22, Dartmouth also won the special teams phase of the game, going 2-for-4 while the Saints finished 1-for-5.

“Come-from-ahead losses” were the tale of the weekend, as Dartmouth again blew a multi-goal lead against visiting Clarkson University. Despite a strong start that found the Big Green heading into the first intermission with a 3-0 lead, the Golden Knights rallied back in the second period and never looked back on their way to a 6-4 victory. As a result, Dartmouth cemented its ninth place position in the conference and will open ECAC playoff action at Yale University this Friday.

“Clarkson beat us to some pucks in the second period and used that momentum well,” Gaudet said. “We got tentative, and that was the difference because they are a big, strong team. We now get a clean slate and head to Yale where we will battle hard and expect to win.”

Dartmouth started quickly out of the gate and took a 1-0 lead just 1:34 in on Crema’s 17th goal of the season. Ryan Blankemeier ’20 and Kalk rounded out the scoring in the first. The final Big Green goal of the evening was a Cam Strong ’20 tally late in the third.

After a sloppy first period, the Golden Knights picked it up both offensively and defensively in the second, scoring three goals and limiting Dartmouth to just four shots on net. Clarkson scored three more times in the third to make it six in a row for the visitors. Troy Josephs’ second of the evening 11:20 into the final stanza put the visitors up for good as the Golden Knights continued to dominate possession and the battles in the corners. James de Haas and Sheldon Rempal scored Clarkson’s final two goals of night to put the visitors up 6-3 before Strong cut the lead to two with 2:29 to play.

Buffalo got the start in net and made 27 saves before he was relieved by Dean Shatzer ’20, who played the final 6:14 and was subsequently pulled for an extra skater. On the other end, Ville Runola registered 20 stops in the win. Clarkson capitalized on two of its four man advantages, while Dartmouth’s special teams unit was 1-for-3.

Dartmouth heads to Yale for a best-of-three series in the first round of the ECAC tournament. Despite being outscored 11-0 in two regular season games against the Bulldogs, the Big Green will hit the road seeking to repeat last year’s quarterfinal upset.

Sailing:

The women’s sailing team sent a contingent to South Carolina over the weekend to compete in a field of 18 teams the Charleston Women’s Regatta. Under light winds on the Cooper River, the Big Green took fourth place behind Boston University, Brown University and Stanford University. Dartmouth was in first place after race 4A, almost midway through Saturday’s racing, but a string of lower finishes dropped the team to fourth by the conclusion of the first day.

Dartmouth’s B squad was one of the best-performing groups of the regatta, notching seven top-five finishes in 10 races, winning both of its races on Sunday. The A squad had three top-five finishes of its own.

Tennis:

On Friday, the men’s tennis team dropped an intense 4-3 match to No. 44 Memphis at home. After claiming the doubles point by winning two out of the three matches 6-3, the opposing team managed to claim victory by defeating the Big Green’s No. 1 through No. 3 spots. All the singles victories for both Dartmouth and Memphis occurred in straight sets.

On Sunday, the Big Green rebounded to beat Boston College 6-1 at home. The team swept all three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point. In singles, Ciro Riccardi ’18, Charlie Broom ’20, David Horneffer ’20 and Max Schmidt ’17 all cruised to straight set victories.

Lacrosse:

On a warm and rainy Saturday at Scully-Fahey Field, the Big Green lost its home opener 15-8 to Sacred Heart University. Wiley Osborne ’17 opened the scoring 1:46 into the first quarter, giving the Big Green a 1-0 advantage that would be its only lead of the game. The advantage held for a short five minutes until Sacred Heart’s Joe Saggese netted a pair later in the quarter. After another Sacred Heart goal, Osborne scored again near the end of the first quarter, bringing the deficit to 3-2, but the Pioneers would allow them no closer. In a physical game that included three pushing, two tripping, three unnecessary roughness, four cross-check and one unsportsmanlike conduct calls, Sacred Heart led by as many as eight goals in the fourth quarter.

Jack Korzelius ’18 led the game by netting four goals, followed by Osborne with a hat trick. Cameron Nolting ’19 netted his first goal of the season while Ben Martin ’20 had the team’s only assist. In the net, George Christopher ’20 played the entire game and set a career-high with 12 saves.

With the loss, Dartmouth drops to 0-2 and Sacred Heart improves to 2-1.

On Wednesday, the women’s lacrosse team secured a decisive 18-8 victory over the University of New Hampshire in the Wildcat stadium. Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 and Cara DePippo ’18 both contributed four goals to the victory, while Courtney Weisse ’17 secured three. Kierra Sweeney ’19 and Sophia Turchetta ’20 added two goals each. Although she allowed eight goals, goalie Kiera Vrindten ’20 had an overall solid game with nine saves.

On Saturday, the women’s won its 2017 home opener against Binghamton University 15-11 at Scully-Fahey Field. DePippo and Sweeney each led the team with four goals, while Taryn Deck ’17 supported with another three points, giving first-year head coach Danielle Spencer her first win in front of a home crowd. The Big Green entered intermission with a 9-4 lead, but the Bearcats showed resistance and scored five goals in the next 10 minutes to bring the score to a close 11-9. With a heroic performance by Vrindten at the net, who saved a total of 19 shots, the Big Green held on to win. With the victory, the Big Green is now 3-0 in the season.