The Weekend Roundup: Week Eight

Skiing:

After a stinging second place finish at last weekend’s Dartmouth Carnival, the skiing teams returned to their winning ways at the Middlebury Carnival. Dartmouth racked up 1,027 points, outstripping second-place University of Vermont by more than 200 points en route to the team’s fourth carnival win of the season.

On the slopes at the Middlebury Snow Bowl, the alpine teams got off to a good start in Friday’s giant slalom. Brian McLaughlin ’18 skied the fastest first run of the day and then cemented his win with a strong second run. Dylan Brooks ’17 and Thomas Woolson ’17 took third and fourth, giving Dartmouth 135 points in the men’s giant slalom. Later that morning, Kelly Moore ’18 and Steph Currie ’20 finished 3-4 in the women’s event.

Fabian Stocek ’17’s scintillating senior season continued on Friday at the Rikert Nordic Center. He won his seventh event of the season, this time the men’s 20-kilometer freestyle. Luke Brown ’18 finished three seconds behind him to complete Dartmouth’s 1-2 punch. Meanwhile, freshmen women powered Dartmouth to an overall win in the women’s 15-kilometer freestyle. Abby Drach ’20 nabbed the top spot by nearly 16 seconds, followed by Lauren Jortberg ’20 in third and Zoe Snow ’18 in fifth.

In Saturday’s slalom, Dartmouth skiers finished in a cluster just off the podium. Alexa Dlouhy ’19, Currie and Moore went 4-5-6 as Currie posted the fastest second run of the day. On the men’s side, Woolson grabbed a podium step in third while Tanguy Nef ’20 finished two spots back and David Domonoske ’20 rounded out the scoring in eighth.

Jortberg and Drach carried the mail again on Saturday by skiing to victory in the classic sprint relay. With teammates Taryn Hunt-Smith ’19 and Emily Hyde ’19 27.5 seconds back in second place, the women’s 141 points easily took the day. Brown and Gavin McEwen ’19 earned the win for the men, ahead of Stocek and Callan DeLine ’18 in fourth. All told, Dartmouth won six of eight team events in a dominant performance.

Men's Hockey:

Fighting to clinch home-ice advantage for the first round of the ECAC playoffs, Dartmouth split a pair of games over the weekend. On its final road trip of the season, the Big Green won at Brown University on Friday night before falling to Yale University the next evening.

Grant Opperman ’17’s first career hat trick lifted Dartmouth to its 5-4 victory over Brown. The Big Green started slowly, allowing two Brown goals in the first 3:21. But Opperman found the back of the net twice later in the period, and the teams went into first intermission tied at two goals apiece. Opperman’s teammates helped the senior from Wayzata, Minnesota look good on his first two tallies, with the assist on Opperman’s first coming after a tape-to-tape cross-ice pass from Alex Jasiek ’19, and that on his second coming after a feed from Will Graber ’20.

Corey Kalk ’18 put the Big Green up 3-2 4:34 into the second period, shooting a soft wrister from just inside the blue line that Brown goaltender Gavin Nieto simply whiffed as he attempted to turn it aside. Opperman’s third of the night put Dartmouth up 4-2 heading into the third.

A man-up goal from Troy Crema ’17 10:47 into the final stanza extended the Big Green’s lead to three, and it appeared that Dartmouth had put the game away. But Brown freshman Brent Beaudoin had other ideas, scoring twice down the stretch to bring the Bears within one. Brown’s Tyler Bird hit the crossbar with just seconds remaining, and Dartmouth was fortunate to come away with the win as goalie Devin Buffalo ’18 stood on his head trying to preserve the lead.

Buffalo got his ninth win of the season in net for the Big Green, making 24 saves in the victory. Nieto finished with 23 saves in 32 minutes of play, before being lifted in favor of Tim Ernst, who recorded 16 saves.

The Big Green owned the scoresheet, outshooting the Bears 44-28 and finishing 2-for-4 on the power play.

Dartmouth’s offensive burst came to a halt at Yale on Saturday with a 4-0 loss to the Bulldogs. Yale’s shutout of Dartmouth is its second of the year against the Big Green, who fell to 10-14-3 overall and 7-11-2 ECAC and missed an opportunity to move ahead of the Bulldogs into seventh place in the ECAC Hockey standings.

Despite a 31-save performance from Buffalo, Yale’s Sam Tucker was simply better, stopping 26 Dartmouth shots en route to his first shutout of the season.

The Bulldogs outshot Dartmouth 13-9 in the opening period and took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission following goals from Anthony Walsh and Ted Hart. John Hayden then put Yale up 3-0 18:32 into the second stanza with his team-leading 18th goal of the season. Dartmouth was simply unable to generate quality chances, ultimately succumbing 4-0 after Andrew Gaus’ empty netter put the icing on the cake.

Yale outshot Dartmouth 35-26, and both teams were a combined 0-for-7 on the power play. Dartmouth will return to play at home against Clarkson University on Friday before taking on St. Lawrence University on Saturday.

Women's Hockey:

Despite outshooting Brown University 38-25 on Friday evening, the Big Green finished on the wrong side of a 5-2 decision in its second-to-last game of the season. Dartmouth fell to 6-21 as the ghosts of the team’s offensive struggles returned to Thompson Arena.

Brown jumped out to a 4-0 lead thanks to two goals from Veronice Alois, who would add one more tally late in the third period to complete a hat trick. Dartmouth got on the board with just under two minutes to play in the second period when Bailey Brekke ’20 knocked home a pass across the crease from Kennedy Ottenbreit ’17. Ottenbreit, the Big Green’s leading scorer this season, kept things going 4:46 into the third when she scored her eighth of the year to bring Dartmouth within two. Brown goaltender Monica Elvin, who was credited with 36 saves in the win, would shut the door on Dartmouth for the rest of the contest.

Robyn Chemago ’17 got the start in net for Dartmouth and made seven saves through 28 minutes of action. Christie Honor ’19 played the remainder of the contest and made 13 saves, surrendering just one goal. Both teams saw limited power-play action, with Dartmouth finishing 0-for-2 and the Bears finishing 0-for-1.

On Saturday afternoon against Yale University, Ottenbreit made her last outing in the Green and White one to remember, scoring her second career hat trick and carrying Dartmouth to a 4-1 win in its final game of the season. The Big Green finished the 2016-2017 campaign at 7-21 overall, 5-17 ECAC.

After a scoreless first period, Ottenbreit began her standout performance with a power-play goal with 2:57 gone by in the second period. The senior from Grayson, Saskatchewan got her second of the afternoon at 10:09 of the same period, deflecting a Sydney Hill ’20 pass over the shoulder of Yale goaltender Hanna Mandl. Ottenbreit’s third goal, which put the Big Green up 3-0 with 3:10 gone by in the final period, came on her most impressive effort of the evening. Ottenbreit collected the puck after winning her own face off in the offensive zone, took two strides and fired one past Mandl, high and glove-side.

Though Yale got one back at 13:35 after Laura Anderson’s shot deflected off a Big Green defender and past Chemago, the Big Green put the Bulldogs away on Morgan Turner ’18’s empty netter with inside one minute left to play.

Ottenbreit’s first tally marked Dartmouth’s only success on three special teams situations, while Yale’s power play unit finished 0-for-1.

While Ottenbreit’s scoring effort was the headline, the contest was a special one for those playing the last game of their collegiate careers, as each member of the senior class recorded at least one point in the victory. Chemago contributed 29 saves to the winning effort, finishing her senior campaign on a high note.

Lacrosse:

On the road at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, the women’s lacrosse team started the season on the right foot with an 11-9 win this past Saturday.

After the opening 10 minutes, Dartmouth and UMass Lowell were locked at two goals apiece. From there, the Big Green tacked on five unanswered goals, including two from Courtney Weisse ’17 to give the Big Green a 7-3 lead at halftime. Weisse added another 1:59 into the second half, but the River Hawks scored four unanswered goals of their own over the next seven minutes to cut Dartmouth’s lead to one. Taryn Deck ’17 responded with a free-position goal at the 19:32 mark before two River Hawk goals tied the game at 9-9. Weisse — who ended the game with a career-high five goals to her name — netted what would be the game-winner with 10:55 to play. Elizabeth Mastrio ’19’s goal at the 7:21 mark rounded out the scoring.

This is the second consecutive year Dartmouth has opened the season with a win over the River Hawks. Last year’s affair was an 18-2 drubbing. Saturday’s victory marks the first Big Green win for first-year head coach Danielle Spencer.

In the season-opener against Canisius University, the men’s lacrosse team dug itself into a hole and could not recover, losing 13-8.

Richie Loftus ’18 tallied four points off three goals and one assist. Wiley Osborne ’17 had one goal and two assists, totaling three points.

Loftus opened the scoring 4:15 into the game, after which Dartmouth was shut out for the remainder of the quarter. The two teams traded blows through the second quarter, but Dartmouth trailed 7-4 at the half. Canisius opened the third quarter with a trio of goals in the first five minutes, opening a 10-4 lead, which was the largest margin of the game. The Big Green finished the third quarter with a trio of its own, including man-up goals by Loftus and Jack Korzelius ’18. Another Loftus goal in the fourth quarter brought Dartmouth within two, but the effort wasn’t enough. The Golden Griffins managed to climb back to a 13-8 lead by the end of the game.

The loss came despite a 42-33 advantage in shots and a 32-24 advantage on ground balls.

Tennis:

This past weekend, the men’s tennis team traveled to Princeton, New Jersey to play in the ECAC Indoor Championship, which featured St. John’s University and fellow Ivy League teams with the exception of Brown University. On Friday, the team defeated its first round matchup, University of Pennsylvania, 4-1. The Big Green got off to a fast start by securing the doubles point with wins from Ciro Riccardi ’18 and Charlie Broom ’20 as well as George Wall ’17 and Roko Glasnovic ’19 . Wall later secured the win by defeating Penn’s Gabe Rappaport 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.

On day two of the tournament, the Big Green was eliminated by Columbia University 4-0. The Lions quickly secured the doubles point with 6-3 and 6-1 victories. They followed that up with three straight-set single victories. Four Dartmouth matches, consisting of one doubles and three singles, did not finish but were all extremely close. However, by then, Columbia had already secured four points to win the match.

After being eliminated by Columbia, the Big Green faced Princeton University for third place. David Horneffer ’20 and Max Fliegner ’18 cruised to a 6-1 victory at the No. 2 doubles position, but the team lost the other two doubles matches. Diego Pedraza ’17 and Max Schmidt ’17’s match was particularly close, as the Big Green duo ultimately fell 7-6(4). In singles, Schmidt secured the Big Green’s sole win of the day, winning his match against Davey Roberts 6-1, 6-2. With the loss, the Big Green placed in fourth in the overall tournament, and is now 3-6 on the season.

On Saturday, the women’s tennis team recorded its first loss of the season after falling 6-1 to the College of William & Mary at the McCormak-Nagelsen Tennis Center. Julia Schroeder ’18 and Racquel Lyn ’20 won the Big Green’s first doubles match at the No. 2 doubles position, but the Tribe won the other two doubles matches to take the doubles point. William & Mary overwhelmed the Big Green at singles, winning four straight set matches. The Big Green’s lone single win came from Schroeder, who defeated Olivia Thaler with a final score of 5-7, 7-6(4), 1-0(10).

On Sunday, the team bounced back, defeating Virginia Commonwealth University 4-3 in Richmond, Virginia. Taylor Ng ’17 and Kristina Mathis ’18 as well as Jacqueline Crawford ’17 and Allison McCann ’20 secured the doubles point with final scores of 6-2 and 6-3 respectively. In the first five singles matches, Ng and Lyn secured victories while Crawford, Schroeder and Mathis were defeated. The last match came down to Chuyang Guan ’20 at the No. 6 singles spot. Despite dropping the first set, she pulled through in the intense three set match with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory. The win pushes the women’s record to 8-1 overall.

Squash:

The Big Green won the Hoehn Cup, the top honor in the B division of the National Team Championships, with a 7-2 victory over No. 10 Princeton University. After tasting A division play in the 2016 Team Championships, the Big Green fell out of the top eight this season and returned to the Hoehn Cup, which is named for Edward “Red” Hoehn, a former top player who coached Dartmouth squash from 1938 to 1963.

No. 9 Dartmouth cruised past No. 13 George Washington University 7-2 in the opening round of the championship. Nick Harrington ’17 and Brian Giegerich ’18 each dispatched his opponent in three games to give the Big Green an early edge. In the next round of play, Jack Harvey ’18 and Matt Giegerich ’19 also won in three games, putting Dartmouth up 4-2. Glen Brickman ’17, Sam Epley ’19 and Alvin Heumann ’18 swept the third round of matches, with Heumann’s four-game win — the final match of the day — coming in front of a large crowd.

Dartmouth clinched the Division B title in the second round against Princeton. Harrington led off the day with a 3-0 victory that set the tone for the Big Green. Matt Giegerich clinched the victory for Dartmouth in a tough five-game match, taking down Princeton’s Shehab Thabet.

The men’s squash team wraps up its season with a 10-7 record and will compete in the CSA Men’s Individual Championships on March 3.

The women’s squash team competes in the CSA Women’s Team Championship this weekend in Princeton, New Jersey.

Swimming & Diving:

From Feb. 15 to Feb. 18, the Dartmouth women’s swimming and diving team traveled to Providence, Rhode Island to compete in the Ivy League Championships. Last year, the team finished in eighth with 532.5 points, seven points behind seventh-place Cornell University.

Day one consisted of the 200-yard medley race and the 800-yard relay. Although the team swam its fastest time of the season by four seconds in the 200-yard medley race, it was still the slowest time out of the eight competing teams. In the second and final event of the day, the 800-yard relay, the Big Green finished in 7:28.88 to take seventh. The two performances secured 90 points for the Big Green, placing the team in seventh. Brown University placed last by the end of the first day, managing only 48 points.

By the end of day two, the Big Green dropped down to eighth place with 156 points. Brown surged ahead from eighth to fourth place with 288 total points after a very strong performance. In the B Final of the 500-yard freestyle, AnnClaire MacArt ’18 secured 16 points by finishing in 11th out of 16 swimmers. Three Dartmouth members competed in the 1-meter diving board, finishing in 19th, 29th and 30th out of 30 swimmers. The team failed to reach the finals of the 200-yard individual medley or 50-yard freestyle.

Day three of the championship included the preliminary rounds of the 1,000-yard freestyle, 400-yard individual medley, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, 100-yard backstroke, 3-meter diving and 400-yard medley relay. In the 1000-yd freestyle, MacArt was less than three seconds off a Dartmouth record as she placed in eighth with a time of 9:58.71. Teammates Hayley Winter ’18 and Molly Brickman ’19 finished in 20th and 25th out of 25 swimmers, respectively. In the only other individual finishes above 20th place for the day, Allison Green ’19 placed in 18th place on the 3-meter board, and Sam Norton ’20 finished 16th in the 100-yd breaststroke. The Big Green ended the day by placing last in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:52.14, keeping the team in eighth with a total of 250 points.

The final day of the championships included the 200-yard backstroke, 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard breaststroke, 200-yard butterfly, 1650-yard freestyle, 3-meter diving finals and 400-yard relay. The Big Green’s highlight of the day was from MacArt, who earned 20 points by finished in ninth out of 22 swimmers in the 1650-yd free. The Big Green finished the championships in eighth place with 358 points. Seventh-place Cornell finished with 653 points while first-place Yale University toppled defending champions Harvard University 1681 to 1590.5 points.

Basketball:

On Friday, the men’s basketball team fell to Cornell University 69-65 at home. Cornell’s Matt Morgan led all players with 28 points on 9-15 shooting, while the Big Green’s Evan Boudreaux ’19 continued his recent hot streak with a career-high 27 points on 10-20 shooting and recorded a team-high eight rebounds. The game was close throughout. During the second half, Mike Fleming ’17 made a 3-pointer to give the Big Green its largest lead of the night of six at 44-38. However, the Big Red quickly erased the Big Green’s lead before taking an eight-point lead of its own at 65-57 with only 2:27 to go. Dartmouth got within two with 58 seconds left, but the valiant effort fell just short after Morgan sunk four free throws.

On Saturday, the team avenged its loss to Cornell by defeating Ivy-league rival Columbia University 80-79 in overtime at home. The win was a total team effort, with Taylor Johnson ’18 scoring a season-high 18 points on 7-10 shooting, Guilien Smith ’19 adding 23 points on 8-14 shooting and Boudreaux contributing 12 points and 11 rebounds. It was Boudreaux’s 12th double-double of the year, which is the most by a Dartmouth player in over 50 years. The Big Green led by 10 at 66-56 with only 5:40 remaining in the game. However, the Lions rallied to tie the game and send it to overtime after Johnson’s buzzer-beating three came just a split-second too late. In the overtime period, with Columbia leading 79-78, Johnson had another chance to win the game. This time, he converted in time, laying the ball in with just a second remaining. With the win, the Big Green is now 6-17 overall and 3-7 in the Ivy League.

On Friday, the women’s basketball team fell to Cornell 72-57 at Newman Arena. Cornell’s Nia Marshall scored 25 points on 9-19 shooting and gathered four rebounds, slightly outdueling Dartmouth’s Fanni Szabo ’17, who put in 22 points on 10-15 shooting and snagged three rebounds. The match started off close, with Cornell clinging on to a 14-12 lead at the start of the second period. However, the Big Red took advantage of an 11-0 run, and after the Big Green broke the scoring drought, the Big Red then went on a 14-2 run to go into halftime leading 37-21. From there, the Big Red held on to its lead in the second half to secure a 15 point victory.

On Saturday, the team followed up with a 21-point loss 69-48 to Ivy-league rival Columbia in Levien Gymnasium. The team was unable to avenge its historic four-overtime loss to Columbia on Jan. 27. The Big Green fell behind early, unable to match Columbia’s fast start. Szabo and Isalys Quiñones ’19 led the Big Green with 12 points each. The loss drops Dartmouth’s record to 6-17 overall and 1-9 in the Ivy League.

Up next, the men’s and women’s basketball teams face Brown University on Friday and Yale University on Saturday.