The Weekend Roundup: Week Seven

Men's Hockey

Troy Crema ’17’s goal with 49 seconds remaining in regulation propelled the Dartmouth men’s hockey team (1-0-0) to a 3-2 win over No. 8 University of Michigan (3-3-1) on Saturday night in front of a sold-out crowd in Thompson Arena.

Devin Buffalo ’18 produced a 22-save effort in his first-ever home start for the Big Green, bringing back fond memories of his stellar 37-save performance in his first career start in Ann Arbor last year. His Michigan counterpart, Jack LaFontaine, withstood consistent Dartmouth offensive pressure throughout the game, registering 32 saves in just his second collegiate contest.

Dartmouth head coach Bob Gaudet ’81 was pleased with his team’s effort, in addition to the spirited crowd.

The Wolverines opened the scoring at the 17 minute mark of a back-and-forth first period when Adam Winborg deflected Alex Kile’s shot from the top of the left circle past Buffalo on a man-advantage. However, the Big Green responded just two minutes into the second stanza as Kevin Neiley ’18 solved LaFontaine low, stick-side from the top of the slot after collecting a loose puck in the offensive zone. Dartmouth took the lead at the 11:46 mark when rookie Cam Strong ’20 collected Will Graber ’20’s pass in front of the crease and fired a backhanded top-shelf over LaFontaine.

Encouraged by a spirited home crowd, Dartmouth forced LaFontaine to be active early in the third. The Wolverine freshman netminder, however, responded to the test and kept the visitors in the contest before Kile put his name on the scoresheet for the second time. The senior captain took the puck coast to coast on the power play and managed to sneak one past Buffalo 10:33 into the period.

With Dartmouth continuing to apply pressure in the offensive end just after the 15:00 mark, Strong appeared to have notched his second of the night before a video review waived the goal off due to goalie interference. A long video review failed to cap Dartmouth’s momentum, as it was Crema who lifted the Big Green just minutes later. The Toronto native fired a quick wrist shot inside the far post past LaFontaine after collecting a favorable bounce off the skate of line mate Corey Kalk ’18. Crema’s winner capped a physical battle in the ninth overall contest between the two teams.

Dartmouth outshot Michigan 35-24, yet came up empty-handed on five power-play opportunities. Despite its man-up unit finishing 2-4 on the evening, the Wolverines return to Ann Arbor winless on their New England trip, having lost 3-0 to the University of Vermont on Friday. The Big Green returns to the ice next Friday evening for its ECAC opener against Cornell University. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7:05 p.m., with Saturday night’s contest against Colgate University slated to begin at the same time.

Women's Hockey

This past weekend, the women’s hockey team fell to St. Lawrence University 2-0 and Clarkson University 6-1 bringing the team’s record to 0-4.

In the first period against St. Lawrence on Friday, the Saints’ Kennedy Marchment scored a goal past Christie Honor ’19, who played in net for the first time this season. Marchment’s teammate Kayla Vespa followed that up with a goal in the second period to give St. Lawrence the lead, 2-0. The Big Green was unable to respond in the third period, despite having an empty net and an added player on the ice. Overall, Honor made 30 saves, 15 more than St. Lawrence’s goalkeeper Grace Harrison made.

In the game against Clarkson, the Golden Knights started the game strong, scoring a goal at 12:49 and another at 18:31 on a powerplay to lead 2-0 after the first period. During the second period, Clarkson scored another at 5:20 to bring the score to 3-0 before Dartmouth responded with a goal from Christina Rombaut ’20 off of an assist by Alyssa Baker ’19 and Kennedy Ottenbreit ’17. Clarkson scored three more in the third period, effectively putting away the game. The Golden Knights led Dartmouth in shots, 34-19.

Up next, the women play Quinnipiac University and Princeton University at Thompson Arena on Nov. 11 and Nov. 12, respectively.

Volleyball

The volleyball team fell to Princeton University 0-3 (15-25, 21-25, 16-25) on Friday as well as the University of Pennsylvania 2-3 (23-25, 21-25, 25-19, 25-23, 13-15) on Saturday.

After both losses, Dartmouth has an 8-13 overall record and a 1-9 record in Ivy play, placing the team at eighth place within the conference. Princeton continues its 14-win streak and retains its first-place standing with the win against the Big Green, while Penn stands at fourth, with a split record of 5-5.

On Friday, Princeton swept Dartmouth, despite a strong defensive effort by Zoe Leonard ’19, who recorded her fifth double-double in a row with 14 assists and 11 digs. Danielle Glinka ’17 and Sierra Lyle ’19 also made 10 and 11 digs, respectively. As a team, the Big Green recorded 23 kills while the Tigers made 49.

On Saturday, the Big Green took the game against Penn to five sets after making a comeback by winning the third and fourth sets. Four players recorded double-doubles, including Glinka, Leonard, team co-captain Emily Astarita ’17 and Maddy Schoenberger ’20. Part of Glinka and Astarita’s double-double included 11 and 15 kills, respectively.

The Big Green will travel to New York to play Columbia University on Friday at 7 p.m. and Cornell University on Saturday at 5 p.m.

Soccer

The women’s soccer team fell to Harvard University 0-2 at Burnham Field on Senior Day. With the loss, the Big Green remains at eighth place in the Ivy League with a 6-6-2 overall record and a 0-4-2 conference record. The Crimson is on a two-win streak, keeping it atop the conference standings.

Neither team started the game with an offensive advantage as the opening 10 minutes did not include any shots. In the 36th minute, however, Harvard’s Rachel Garcia broke the deadlock to lead, 1-0.

In the second half, Brittany Champagne ’18 had a chance to tie the game when her shot bounced off the crossbar on a corner kick, but the ball could not find the back of the net. The Crimson added to its lead in the 62nd minute with a goal from Margaret Purce off an assist by Garcia for her 11th of the season.

Dartmouth was unable to break the Crimson defense in the remainder of regulation play. Harvard led in shots, 11-6, and each team had four corners and two yellow cards.

Up next, the Big Green will play a non-conference match against the University of Massachusetts Lowell at 6 p.m. on Tuesday before ending its season with a game against Cornell University on Saturday.

After winning four of its last six games, the men’s soccer team hit a bump in the road this past Saturday, losing, 0-1, against Harvard University in a pivotal match for the race for the Ivy League title.

While the Big Green outshot its opponent 7-6, Harvard led in corner kicks, 4-5, one of which resulted in the fateful goal by the visiting team. With the loss, Dartmouth falls into a two-way tie for second with Columbia University, while the Crimson stand at first in the conference. James Hickok ’17 made three saves, while Jonathan Nierenberg ’18 and Wyatt Omsberg ’18 each recorded a shot on goal. The match was a very aggressive one, with the Big Green making 11 fouls, and Harvard making seven.

Before the men return to Ivy League play against Cornell University this Saturday, the team will travel to Boston to play its last non-conference match against Northeastern University on Tuesday.

Cross Country

Both cross country teams competed the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships on Oct. 29 with that in mind. The women placed seventh this year at Princeton University’s Windsor Fields. The Big Green earned 142 points, while Harvard University, who won this year’s title, scored 33 points. Helen Schlachtenhaufen ’17 completed the 6-kilometer race in 20 minutes 57.1 seconds, leading the way for the Big Green with a 14th place finish out of 92 runners. Harvard’s Courtney Smith won the individual title with a time of 20:19.6.

On the men’s side, the Big Green moved up to fourth place after finishing sixth at last year’s Heps. Julian Heninger ’17 earned First-Team All-Ivy honors, completing the 8-km course in 24:03 to place seventh out of 94 runners. Daniel Salas ’17 finished just 15 seconds later for a spot in the top 20, while Matt Herzig ’17 was just edged out to finish in the 23rd spot.

Rowing

After pulling off impressive times in the Head of the Charles, the men’s heavyweight rowers built onto their performance with a strong showing at the Princeton Chase on Oct. 29. In the men’s heavyweight 8+ finals, the Dartmouth A boat finished in 12 minutes 46 seconds, a close second to Princeton University’s A boat. The team’s B boat finished in 13th-place with a time of 13:23. In the men’s heavyweight 4+ finals, the Dartmouth B posted a time of 15:04 for eighth place, while the A boat finished in 21st place. The women’s A boat placed 12th in the varsity 8+ final with a time of 15:11, while the men’s lightweight team’s A boat placed 13th in the varsity 8+ race. In the men’s freshman 8+ finals, two boats finished in the top 10, and the women’s novice boat placed fourth in the 8+ final. This weekend, the men’s heavyweight and lightweight crews will host and compete in the Gardner Cup on Saturday. All three teams will compete in the Green Monster races on Sunday.

Sailing

This past weekend, the Big Green coed and women’s sailing teams competed in the Erwin Schell Trophy and the Victorian Coffee Urn races, hosted by the Coast Guard Academy.

Out of 18 teams, Dartmouth finished seventh in the Erwin Schell race. Charles Lalumiere ’17, Christopher Williford ’19, Rebecca McElvain ’19 and Sophie Kerr ’17 finished in ninth place in Division A, while Robert Floyd ’17 and Madeline Cooney ’17 finished in fourth in Division B.

In the Victorian Coffee Urn race, the team placed ninth with 188 points. Emma White ’19 and Peninah Benjamin ’20 finished in fifth place in Division A while Margaret Kilvert ’18 and Mia Steck ’17 placed 11th in Division B. Next week, the team will compete in multiple races on Nov. 14.

Football

During Saturday’s Homecoming game, the football team fell to No. 23 Harvard University 21-23 in a tight game in which the Big Green almost staged a comeback. This loss brings Dartmouth to a record of 1-16 against the Crimson since 2000. After the weekend, both teams remain in their respective standings within the Ivy League. Dartmouth stands at eighth place with four losses while Harvard is tied for first with the University of Pennsylvania with four wins.

In the first quarter, Harvard scored two touchdowns to lead, 14-0, in a dominant first half. The Big Green defense limited the Crimson offense in the second quarter to zero points while Stephen Johnston ’18 scored a one yard pass from Jack Heneghan ’18 to trail 14-7 going into the half.

In the third quarter, Harvard scored a field goal to lead 17-7 before Miles Smith ’19 scored a three-yard touchdown run to trail, 17-14. The Crimson responded with eight seconds left in the third, scoring another touchdown to extend its lead to 23-14.

After the referees made a roughing-the-passer call in Dartmouth’s favor following an interception, Heneghan scored a touchdown late in the fourth quarter to bring the score to 23-21. Head coach Buddy Teevens ’79 elected to use all of Dartmouth’s remaining timeouts to secure previous driving attempts, allowing Harvard to kneel and win after making a first-down with less than a minute left in the contest.

Heneghan went 32-48 with a touchdown for 301 yards. Hunter Hagdorn ’20 had 11 catches for 118 yards, while classmate Isiah Swann ’20 had nine tackles and an interception on the defensive side.

Dartmouth has three Ivy League games left in its season, beginning with an away match against Cornell University this Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Rugby

After defeating Brown University in the Ivy Semifinal match this past weekend at Brophy Field by a score of 45-14, the rugby team advanced to the Ivy Championship at Harvard University. Overall, the team boasts a 6-1 record, four of which were against conference rivals.

In the contest against the Bears, Kat Ramage ’19 and Frankie Sands ’20 scored the opening 21 points for the Big Green before Ashli Cook ’18 added another seven to put Dartmouth up, 28-0 at intermission. Isabel Boettcher ’20 scored another 12 points off of two tries and a conversion.

The women will travel to Boston on Nov. 6 to play Harvard for the Championship.

Tennis

At the ITA Northeast Regional Championship in Philadelphia, David Horneffer ’20 and Charlie Broom ’20 represented the Big Green, making it to the final day of the tournament last week Monday. In his quarterfinal match against Cornell University’s Colin Sinclair, Horneffer won, 6-3, before narrowly losing in the semifinal round to the University of Pennsylvania’s Josh Pompan, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3. Broom qualified for the quarterfinals as well, but could not make it fast Cornell’s Mike Vrabl, who defeated him, 6-4, 6-0. The men competed in Harvard University’s UTR Open this past weekend at Cambridge. Results were unavailable by press time.

On the women’s side of the ITA Regional Championship, Taylor Ng ’17 and Racquel Lyn ’20 represented the Big Green in New Haven, Connecticut in last Monday’s closing matches. The duo lost to Syracuse University’s doubles team, 6-2, 7-6, in the semifinal game. In the quarterfinals match for singles, Ng defeated Syracuse’s Gabrielle Knutson, 3-6, 6-1, 6-3, before dropping her semifinal match against St. John University’s Jessica Livinau in another tight match, 7-5, 5-7, 6-3. This weekend, the women will host and compete in the Big Green Invite, and the men will travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota for the Gopher Invitational.

Field Hockey

Dartmouth field hockey fell 1-3 on Senior Day against Harvard University on Saturday at Chase AstroTurf Field before losing to the University of New Hampshire, 6-2, on Sunday. Dartmouth now has a 4-12 overall record and a 0-6 record in the Ivy league. With the win, the Crimson clinched the Ivy League Championship following Princeton University’s loss against Cornell University this past weekend.

In a tight first period between the Crimson and the Big Green, neither team notched a goal. In the second period, Harvard’s Bente van Vlijmen scored three consecutive goals in 12 minutes, two of which were unassisted. Morgan Philie ’18 helped the Big Green respond with a goal in the 67th minute of play. Hailey Valerio ’19 recorded 14 saves, and overall the Big Green led in saves, 17-2.

On Sunday, Philie and Amrit Ahluwalia ’19 made two goals against the Wildcats, which were not enough to overcome UNH’s four-goal lead at the end of the game. Similar to the game against Harvard, three of the Wildcats’ goals were off a hat trick. The Wildcats led in corner shots, 10-1, as well as shots, 28-5. Emma Plumb ’20 made 10 saves in the loss.

The women will end their season with a final game against Cornell University on Saturday at 12 p.m.