Verbum Ultimum: A Branding Problem

On March 30, this newspaper reported that the College is extending Alpha Delta fraternity’s existing suspension due to allegations of hazing ― namely, instances of branding new members that occurred in AD’s basement during the fall of 2014. The statement released by AD’s attorney maintains that this act does not fully meet the definition of hazing, as it was limited to a small number of new members and was a voluntary form of self-expression.

Voluntary or not, a College-recognized student organization should not permit its members to engage in such behavior. The College’s hazing policy makes explicit that it encompasses “voluntary” conduct. The fact remains that the branding is directly associated with membership in the fraternity, whether or not it was a mandatory condition or the number of individuals who were branded. This is not to suggest that each individual member of AD or the house’s leaders condone this behavior. Rather, it is to say that the College’s hazing policy applies regardless.

The branding, while regrettable and juvenile, does not reflect on the character of all Greek students. Isolated incidents like this are not representative of the 29 Greek organizations on campus, yet they often define the national media conversation regarding Greek life at the College and, to some extent, the College itself.

Ascribing harmful behavior — behavior that many Greek-affiliated and unaffiliated students alike would condemn — to the larger system as a whole dismisses the range of experiences — including positive, safe experiences in addition to these more harmful ones — that students can have in their Greek houses. Allowing AD and its members to brand other members with impunity does a disservice not only to those harmed by this practice, but also to the entirety of the College’s Greek-affiliated students. Without clear expectations for Greek organizations, the prospects for reform toward a system based on mutual respect appear dim.

If College President Phil Hanlon and administrators wish to implement the goals of the “Moving Dartmouth Forward” plan effectively, they must take a measured approach to sanctions involving Greek organizations. Incidents like the brandings at AD tarnish the reputation of our Greek system, as well as the school as a whole. As such, the College should discipline the fraternity with a penalty that appropriately indicates that this behavior is not tolerated at Dartmouth.

Now is the time for Hanlon to show that he is indeed committed to the goals he set forth with “Moving Dartmouth Forward” and display his willingness to hold student organizations accountable for dangerous, reckless and irresponsible behavior. Moreover, if we would like the Greek system to be seen in an accurate and fair manner, all members of the Dartmouth community, both affiliated and unaffiliated, must also stand up and condemn behaviors that hurt our peers.