Miller: Baker's Best-Kept Secret

Not far from the Orozco Room in the basement of Baker Library is an inconspicuous hallway, which houses the Dartmouth book arts workshop. It is a shame that so many students are unaware of the opportunity to learn and hone their skills in printing, which — as is the case with many of the specialized resources on campus — is something that won’t be so readily accessible after we leave the College. While the workshop allows you to create physical works of printing, it may also help curb some of the madness that comes with midterms, extracurriculars and the general fast paced style of the quarter system. Given that creative hobbies can help relieve feelings of stress or anxiety, these four years seem like an ideal time to explore resources like the book arts workshop offered by the College.

The workshop has many old printing machines that would usually be very expensive or difficult for students to use or set up independently. I have primarily worked on letterpress printing in the book arts workshop, but the instructors also teach illustration techniques, bookbinding and other components of printing and bookmaking. The workshop has open studio every week, which is free for all Dartmouth students. Not only are you instructed on how to use the machines, but also you are provided with printing material and ink for your projects free of charge.

Though my observations may not hold true for everybody, I have always found the workshop to be uncrowded and under-utilized. I have been able to work on any machine and with any materials I wish. Sarah Smith, an expert in letterpress, runs the workshop during most open studio hours and will help novices with any of their projects. Some courses do make use of the book arts workshop, but I have always had the impression that only a small handful of students actually take advantage of the amazing resources of this studio. Many do not even seem to know it exists or have only heard of it in name. Whether students are simply unaware of the workshop or hesitant to try something new, I am confident that the workshop can teach any student — even if they are not interested in the arts — to appreciate the work that goes into printing.

I personally have spent a good deal of time printing with the Golding Pearl printing press. The Pearl is just one of probably half a dozen interesting and archaic machines which students can learn to use. The studio also boasts a wide variety of typefaces and engravings that would be nearly impossible for an individual to acquire in a private studio — considering that many of the engravings and typefaces are as old as the machines themselves and have not been manufactured in nearly a century. Because of the rarity of the items in its possession, the book arts workshop presents students with a special opportunity that they will likely not come across again. Moreover, considering the abundance of fees and fines that exist at the College, it seems unusual that the studio does not charge students to work in the area during open studio hours. I probably would not have discovered the workshop had it not been for my occasionally studying in the Orozco Room — one evening I wandered into the hallway during open studio hours. The College should do more to publicize the book arts workshop and similar programming like the student workshops at the Hopkins Center. Students should have ample opportunity to explore their artistic interests without having to worry about cost.

The College’s hands-on resources deserve promotion and investment due to the benefits they offer to students. Study breaks ultimately lead to a healthier and more balanced academic experience — we can all only study so much. National Institutes of Health studies have shown that the arts in particular can help fight stress and improve overall quality of life. Workshops are an ideal outlet for artistic expression. The book arts workshop gives students free reign to craft anything they can dream up on paper — from wedding invitations to greeting and business cards to activist posters.

We stand to gain a lot if we break from the comfort and familiarity that we settle into in our daily activities. Perhaps you would think something like the book arts workshop isn’t for you — but you’re guaranteed to miss out if you never try something off the beaten track.