Brooks: Make it Count

Welcome to your sophomore summer, ’16s! Summer term is something I know well — I was fortunate enough to spend two summers at Dartmouth. It’s a wonderful time at the College and unique from any of the other terms you will spend here. As you all know, the terms at Dartmouth fly by, and summer term goes by faster than any term you have had thus far. Here are some ways to maximize your summer term. You may not be able to do all of these, but even a few will help you to have a memorable summer.

Take two classes. You are allowed to take two-course terms three times during your time at Dartmouth. This should be one of them. You should especially consider a two-course term if you have to take a harder course like organic chemistry. Though the summer courses are definitely still Dartmouth courses, I’ve found that they are generally a tad more relaxed than the courses offered during other terms. Rarely will you be able to experience Dartmouth without a lot of stress, commitments and assignments. Two courses will free your ability to make the most of your 10 weeks.

In fact, I also advise you to NRO one of those two courses. Sure, we are at school to learn, but a lot of learning and developing can take place outside of the classroom. I followed suggestions one and two during my first summer and never missed a U.S. Women’s National Team soccer match during the Summer Olympics. You have three NROs available during your time here — why not use one?

Next, take a course you find intriguing, whether or not you need the distrib. Interested in drawing but never tried? Take an introductory course. Have a nascent interest in ancient texts? Take “Classical Mythology.” Many courses are just offered over the summer terms. Consider taking one of them, and if you find taking a course outside your normal academic pursuits daunting, refer to step two.

Try something new outside the classroom as well. Summer is the perfect time for joining that club, a capella group or organization that you’ve always wanted to join. Start a band, join a dance group, do improv. Do what you’ve never dared to try. These organizations are also a great way to meet people from your class. And when your friends perform in their new summer groups, go see them.

If the weather permits, you should be outdoors. Study on the Green and swim in the river. Summer offers the best opportunity to explore the surrounding area. It’s the best time to hike Franconia or the Presidentials or to rent a cabin with some friends. And if you’re not outdoorsy, consider this your “something new.”

Overall, just say yes (and no, I don’t mean the Snow Patrol song). Whether it’s a 3 a.m. group heading to Ledyard for some completely not-illegal-at-all fun or a Lou’s challenge or any other crazy invitation, go for it. You’ll remember that time your half-naked friend talked himself out of trouble in front of Safety and Security much more than you will an evening in the stacks.

Speaking of trying new things, take a road trip. Very rarely do students ever leave Dartmouth during a term. Go exploring. One of my favorite memories of the summer involved a road trip to a place known only as “The Compound.” Get out there and discover New England.

Finally, branch out. I alluded to this earlier, but attend performances, events, go out, meet new people. Summer is the last time you’ll see your whole class until senior year. You’ll be surprised by how many new people you’ll meet and how many new friendships you’ll make. On that note, go to Master’s — but, SHHHH! It’s super secret! Go to the men’s and women’s tournaments, even if your friends’ team is out or if you don’t play much yourself. It’s a one-time event and an interesting collection of students from all parts of campus.

There’s my advice. But ultimately the quality of your summer experience is up to you. The campus is yours now. No doubt, you’ll feel the sense of ownership that comes to each new sophomore summer class. Make the most of it.