One-on-One

This week, I sat down with Nicholas Harrington ’17 of the men’s squash team to talk about adjusting to collegiate squash and rise to the top two positions on the team in his freshman year.

How did you get your start in squash?

NH: I started playing squash when I was around 12 in New York. They had built courts near my home at a club. I met my coach at the club and started playing.

What about the Dartmouth squash program appealed to you when you were applying to schools?

NH: I had actually been to the Dartmouth squash camp for two summers. The campus really appealed to me. I have also had a few cousins and family members go here. I learned a lot about the school from them and was really interested in Dartmouth. I also had met a lot of guys on the team through [US Squash] Juniors, and they were great guys who I would want to spend four years with.

What are the biggest challenges or adjustments to playing squash in college?

NH: The biggest adjustment is the number of matches we play. For Juniors we used to play upwards of 50 matches in our season span, but now I play fewer than 20. It is a big adjustment because now I am playing fewer matches against tough opponents rather than Juniors when you play people at your level or lower.

How has the season been going for you so far?

NH: I’m playing in the number two spot on the team. It’s a bit tough, especially since I face a lot of international opponents and I really play the best of the best, competition wise. But it’s good because I learn what to do to get better during every match. It has definitely been a learning experience so far.

Do you spend a lot of time with team members outside of practicing and traveling?

NH: I spend a lot of time with the team outside of squash practice. This year there are six freshmen on the team. We have a really nice group on and off the court. We get meals together a lot, see each other socially and just hang out.

What has been your favorite moment of the season?

NH: My favorite moment personally was our match against [the University of Pennsylvania]. I actually played an old high school teammate. It was just a great moment to look behind the glass to see your classmates and teammates cheering for you. That’s actually the best part about playing college squash — that moment.

Do you play squash over the summer? How do you train when you’re not in season?

NH: During the off-season, I do a lot of off-court training. I focus on strength training, along with cardiovascular strength and endurance. You have to keep your flexibility up and go into the season fresh and ready.

What do you think about when playing a match?

NH: First, I think about how to best put pressure on my opponent and make it so that I am controlling the pace of the game and where the match is going. I’m thinking about my body personally and where I am with my endurance. I can’t spend all my energy too early or save it and get too far behind. I try and observe the routines and patterns of the match and try to best take advantage of situations.

Do you have any pre-match rituals or routines?

NH: Before we start our match, the team gets into a huddle, and I have to get down on one knee in the middle of the huddle because I am the shortest guy on the team. It’s not really a ritual per se, but it has become a staple of our pre-match huddle.

This interview has been edited and condensed.