Students face effects of govt. shutdown

The earth sciences department has been forced to alter its off-campus field program known as "the Stretch," said Carl Renshaw, an earth science professor who leads the national parks segment of the trip.

"The closing of the national parks because of the shutdown of the federal government is definitely a case of trying to make lemonade out of lemons," Renshaw said in an email. "Because of the shutdown, our work in Yellowstone National Park was limited and we were not able to enter Grand Teton or Arches National Parks."

The shutdown coincided with the beginning of the parks segment of the trip, resulting in the rearrangement of the entire itinerary.

"The parks segment is definitely a highlight of the Stretch, so it was really disappointing for all of us, especially because we had no control over any of it," participant Margaret Ramsden '15 said.

Benjamin Ferguson '15, another student on the program, also said the closure of the national parks elicited widespread frustration among the group.

"Personally, this was the section that I was most looking forward to," he said. "We didn't get to see any of them, so that was really upsetting."

The national parks segment of the trip ended on Monday, and the group is now in California for the next portion of the program. In 10 days, the group plans to go to Death Valley National Park, but only if the shutdown is resolved.

In spite of the overall frustration and disappointment, Ramsden said the College helped with itinerary changes and aided in organizing improvised projects. The earth sciences off-campus program is one of the oldest at Dartmouth, so the department's flexibility was especially notable, she said.

"We were all looking forward to the segment, and unfortunately it was not able to happen, but I'm very proud of the way both the professors and the students on the trip have handled it," Ramsden said.

On campus, the shutdown has resulted in delays for those involved in ROTC and seniors who are interested in pursuing careers in government or politics.

Major Matt Aldrich, an assistant military science professor who works with the College's ROTC program, has been unable to attend regularly scheduled ROTC activities, Katherine Bradley '17, a member of the College's ROTC said. The group is also experiencing some equipment delays.

"We're definitely feeling it, and we're getting the feeling of a more competitive atmosphere since the military is cutting back in general as well," she said.

Andrew Longhi '14, a government major with a concentration in American politics, said he had an interview scheduled on Oct. 1 that was canceled due to the shutdown.

"To get a government job, it requires having a lot of informational interviews and making connections in offices that wouldn't normally list interviews," he said. "Out of the ones that I've been talking to, I can't continue talking about being hired because many of them aren't even in their office." Despite the problems that they are experiencing, Renshaw and Longhi said the shutdown has made them more passionate about their respective interests.

"The national parks have been both participants and innocent bystanders in many fierce political battles," Renshaw said. "We'd all have preferred it if the national parks could have avoided being part of the current battle, but at least the closure of the parks is helping to remind us all how important they are."

Longhi said the problems he sees with Congress that resulted in a shutdown of the federal government do not dissuade him from a career in politics, but amplify his desire to pursue one.

"It makes it more fascinating and shows that a remedy doesn't exist just in that one body, but it's a responsibility for everyone to be politically engaged and for everyone to understand the drivers behind this historic and at the same time terrible event," he said.