The Vegan Lifestyle

Though the community is small, the consensus seems to be that being a vegan at Dartmouth is, perhaps surprisingly, pretty easy.

When I came to Dartmouth, I knew the basic principles behind veganism no animal by-products, such as meat or dairy but it wasn't until I noticed the plethora of vegan baked goods that frequently adorn the Collis counters that I began to wonder more about the lifestyle.

Among the vegans I spoke to, many said they started as vegetarians, and some have only become vegan since coming to the College.

For Dartmouth Animal Welfare Group co-president Jennifer Davidson '15, the decision to go vegan was based on animal rights.

"I'd been a vegetarian before and I wanted to take the next step, and it seemed natural to go vegan," she said. "I'm a big animal person."

Though DAWG is focused on animal rights issues, many members have found a community of vegans within the club.

"My decision is definitely tied to animal rights and not being part of a system that abuses animals," co-president Laura Bergsten '15 said.

Many vegans said their philosophies toward food are still in flux. Kelly McGlinchey '12 became vegetarian when she was 12, and said the change in diet set her on a personal food journey. McGlinchey became involved in DAWG her freshman year and credits the club with inspiring her to think about her eating choices.

"I'd done a lot of research and discovered some of the truths of the food industry, and not just the meat industry but the egg and dairy industry as well," said McGlinchey, a former president of DAWG.

Recently, a number of people have turned to veganism for health benefits as well. Victor Galli, who graduated from the University of Pennsylvania last year, said veganism has grown in response to research on plant-based diets.

Galli, who became vegan his freshman winter, founded the annual Ivy League Vegan Conference, which invites students, faculty and staff to discuss food issues relating to the environment, health and ethics.

Penn is "a veritable vegan utopia," with numerous options in the dining halls and access to Philadelphia's restaurant scene, Galli said, adding that he has worked with staff to bring a wide range of vegan items to campus.

"Penn is leading the way in creating food items that appeal not only to vegans but to other students as well."

At Dartmouth, the vegans I spoke with praised Dartmouth Dining Services and its efforts to bring more vegan food to campus.

Class of 1953 Commons manager Beth Rosenberger said the Herbivore station offers vegan and vegetarian options for every meal, with over 160 vegan recipes on rotation. Vegan choices are clearly marked by a "V" symbol,.

DDS is constantly exploring new options, and several vegan students have provided the staff with recipe ideas.

"A lot of things in '53 now are actual requests from vegans here looking for other options," Rosenberger said. "We try to listen to what our customers want and provide it."

The vegan pizza, for example, was introduced after students worked with DDS to find special providers for the dough, cheese and toppings. Other recent additions include soy yogurt, almond milk and vegan chocolate chip cookies.

"Every time we've worked with DDS through DAWG they've been really receptive," Davidson said.

Don't assume that vegans only eat raw carrots and quinoa.

"Veganism can have a reputation for narrowing your food options, but I think it can also really expand the food cultures you're exposed to and inspire you to be more conscious with what you're eating," McGlinchey said.

Despite praise for FoCo's effort to accommodate vegan diets, many head to Collis for most of their meals. Emily Reeves '15 said she eats Collis stir-fry nearly every day, and Davidson cited the soups and salads as go-to choices.

Legendary Mary Ann Milanese, the mastermind behind Collis baked goods, works with other chefs to develop tasty vegan recipes, said McGlinchey, who scored the coveted job working alongside the baker.

McGlinchey occasionally blitzes out about available baked goods, such as fudgy zucchini brownies and whole wheat maple hazelnut cookies.

"If veganism is something you care about and feel strongly about, then you find a way to make it work for you wherever you are," McGlinchey said.