Women's sailing wins national championship, coed team finishes third

Leading from start to finish, the Dartmouth women's sailing team captured the program's third ICSA national championship last week in St. Petersburg, Fla, its first championship since 2000. Skipper Dierdre Lambert '15 was named the Quantum women's college sailor of the year, and the coed team took to the water later in the week, finishing third out of 18 competitors.

Lambert and crew Carissa Crawford '14 cruised to the top of the A division, finishing with 68 points, 37 points ahead of the second-place boat from the U.S. Naval Academy. The B boat had a strong regatta as well, accumulating 135 points that gave the Big Green a cumulative score of 203 over the three-day event. Second-place St. Mary's College of Maryland came in with a score of 241, and only 31 points separated the next five finishers, including Ivy League rivals Cornell University and Yale University.

Lambert became the first Big Green sailor to win the sailor of the year award. Lambert led her boat to the top of the A division in all but one regatta during the entire season and was also recognized as a member of the ICSA Women's All-American Team.

The coed team was slightly less successful in south Florida, ending with a three-day total of 256 to put them in third behind Georgetown University. The Big Green was able to pass Brown University at the end of the competition for third place, thanks to wins from Dartmouth's A boat in two of the final three races.

The team was consistent throughout the competition, with the A boat of Matt Wefer '14 and Avery Plough '14 finishing third in their division with a score of 115, and Scott Houck '15 and Margaret Wilson '13 taking fourth in the B division.

Crawford, Lambert, Wefer and Plough were all named to the All-American team.

In 1992, the program saw the best success in its history, as both the women's and coed teams returned to Hanover with national championships.