Students react to Canada's selection

The College announced yesterday that Geoffrey Canada, former CEO of the Harlem Children's Zone, will address the Class of 2013, marking the second consecutive year that an education specialist has been the commencement speaker. Teach for America founder Wendy Kopp delivered last year's address.

Since becoming president of the Harlem Children's Zone in 1990, Canada has expanded the organization, which works to break generational poverty in Harlem, by helping children attend college. For his work with the organization, he was featured in the film "Waiting for Superman" (2010), a documentary chronicling the American public education system.

Time Magazine named Canada one of its "100 Most Influential People" in 2011. That year, Canada delivered a lecture at the College on the importance of expanding access to educational opportunities.

Some students expressed disappointment that the College did not book a more prominent speaker, especially after television talk show host Conan O'Brien spoke at Commencement in 2011.

"A lot of people were saying, Harvard got Oprah, we should have gotten someone else,'" Morgan Blackburn '13 said.

Former editor-in-chief of The Dartmouth Review Adam Schwartzman '13 said he had hoped for a more high-profile speaker.

"But having never heard Mr. Canada speak, I reserve the right to be impressed," Schwartzman said in an email.

Blake Neff '13, however, suggested that seniors should not focus on the speaker's name recognition, as Canada's mission to improve lives is more important than his fame.

"He's trying to identify weaknesses in American life," Neff said. "In this case the American education system, not just I want to help people, but fix the issues I see.'"

Calling Canada a "change agent," Millen Abselab '13 said his message is one that Dartmouth students should hear. Abselab, who will work for Teach For America next year, added that the College is at an "important point" in its history, and students are looking for someone who advocates change.

Canada's emphasis on social reform is especially relevant, Christine Garcia '13 said.

"I think we've all been given a lot of opportunities, at least in education, that allowed us to get here," she said. "I think it's important that we highlight education reform to give other people the opportunities we've been given."

Education professor David Kraemer, who heard Canada speak at the University of Pennsylvania commencement last year, said in an email that Canada's work in education makes him.

"He's exactly the sort of person who should be setting an example for students about to embark on their personal journeys beyond the college experience and into the rest of their lives and careers," Kraemer said.

At Penn, Canada told graduates to evaluate their personal priorities.

"You have spent your years here preparing and being prepared for the next set of challenges you will face. Indeed it is time to get into the game," he said. "What game? The game of life. A most serious game where the stakes are high. There are important choices to be made, and some people who choose wrong or make the wrong decisions, pay penalties that cripple their chances to succeed and reach their full potential."

Students should learn from Canada's focus on "self-sacrifice" so that they can give back to their communities, Stephen Green '13 said.

Abselab said she hopes Canada will inspire students to consider careers in education and public service.

"I think Dartmouth has a reputation, unfortunately, for getting students into very profitable fast-paced careers, such as business, consulting, finance," Abselab said. "But students realize that the education we're getting at Dartmouth is the best in the world and not a lot have that opportunity. A lot of students are taking less profitable careers in education."

The College's choice contrasts with those of peer institutions, which generally have higher-profile speakers.

Oprah Winfrey will speak at Harvard University, Vice President Joe Biden will speak at the University of Pennsylvania and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg will speak at Stanford University.

Jorge Bonilla contributed reporting.