Student Spotlight: Victoria Stein '14

5.6.13.arts.spotlight
5.6.13.arts.spotlight

"I don't like to only do biology and not anything else," she said. "It's really helpful to go and do something creative, work with my hands, and make something that's tangible, and hopefully beautiful and functional."

Stein discovered the studio long before arriving on campus in 2010.

"My mom actually found it during Dimensions," Stein said. "She's very crafty and artistic, and she was the one who told me this is the thing I need to do. "

As a teaching assistant, Stein helps visitors with a variety of technical projects.

"It's an awesome job because I get to teach people, which I like, and I get to make art, which I like too," she said. "It's fun trying to get people to design things that they like, because sometimes people come in and have no idea what to make."

In her free time, Stein works on her own projects, usually silver or copper metalworking, and focuses on glasswork when she is at home in California. Stein plans to continue jewelrymaking as a hobby after garduation.

Stein occassionally makes "nerdy" jewelry: a necklace with the Deathly Hallows symbol or a Remembrall, both inspired by the Harry Potter novels.

Stein said gives most of her jewelry as gifts.

"I will make something, sometimes take a picture of it, but then it's in the mail and it's gone," she said.

She currently has several works displayed in the Barrows Rotunda. Stein is also a member of the Rockapellas.