IFC considers new freshman policy

5.1.13.news.GLCpolicies
5.1.13.news.GLCpolicies

The proposal is in its early stages and it is not yet clear how long Greek houses might be shuttered to freshmen during the term.

While the administration has considered the idea in conjunction with other alcohol and student life policies in the past, this marks the first time that fraternities are leading the effort, Greek Leadership Council moderator Elliot Sanborn '14 said.

"The fraternities are spearheading this initiative, which is good because if it came from a source outside of the fraternity system, it would be difficult to implement," Sanborn said. "There's been mounting pressure to do something with all of the recent events."

The policy is still under discussion within the IFC and details have not been written out. These deliberations are important to ensure universal support from Greek houses, Shaw said.

"This initiative will only work with fraternity, sorority and co-ed support," Shaw said. "It will affect all houses and needs to be universally enforced."

Sanborn said changes could affect as early as next year's incoming freshmen.

"It's more likely than not that the IFC will have something ready for the '17s," he said.

Alpha Delta fraternity house advisor John Engelman proposed an exclusionary policy earlier this term because fall is a vulnerable time for both Greek organizations and freshmen.

"First-year students arrive on campus, possibly away from home and the supervision of their parents for the first time, and they're testing their limits, trying to fit into the social life on campus and in many cases are not fully aware of how the Greek system works," Engelman said.

The tendency for freshmen to push their limits in their first weeks jeopardizes fraternities, as they must be prepared for those who may need medical attention.

The proposed ban on freshmen entering Greek houses in their first term on campus would help ensure their safety while reducing potential problems that fraternities will face. Freshmen are most at risk of abusing alcohol and becoming targets of sexual assault during their first few weeks at the College, Sanborn said.

"They're a danger to themselves as well as a liability to the houses," he said.

Before the College first admitted women, first-year students were not allowed to enter fraternities, Engelman said. The policy was rigidly enforced, and some students who violated it were prohibited from rushing Greek organizations the following year. The policy was eliminated when fraternities wanted female first-years to visit.

Sanborn said delaying freshmen's introduction to fraternities will ease their transition to college life.

"When freshmen first arrive, they have these big ideas about what college is supposed to be like, and that includes expectations of the party scene," Sanborn said. "I think leaving a couple of weeks for that to bubble up and die down will allow them to reevaluate their priorities and expectations."

The GLC first announced last July that the College was developing a freshman program that may include a provision barring freshmen from entering Greek houses during the first six weeks of fall. Media relations director Justin Anderson said at the time that this proposal, part of the "First Six" program, was a rumor.

IFC aims to be transparent as discussions surrounding the issue continue.

"Moving forward, we plan on having open forums and public conversations so everyone can weigh in," Shaw said. "The Greek system is so powerful because it's an open system, and this initiative will potentially affect so many people, so it needs to be an open conversation."