Editor's Note

It is incredibly difficult to be self-reflective. To do so requires a certain level of self-awareness that many people, especially college students, tend to lack, as well as a willingness to examine your own flaws and weaknesses. Part of the mission of the Mirror, and journalism, is to encourage its readership to be critically reflective of their surroundings and the groups, practices and cultures they participate in. This is a fairly lofty goal, and not always one that this magazine accomplishes, but we hope that over the last two terms and throughout its history, the Mirror has facilitated conversation that allows Dartmouth to reflect on its greatest achievements and its most problematic issues. In this week's Mirror, the last of the term and the school year, we look back and celebrate our predecessors, those people to whom we owe an enormous debt. Members of The Dartmouth's 2013 Directorate try their hands at personal reflection, and what they have to say is crucial reading for anyone who's ever felt happy, sad, proud, angry, disappointed, joyous or uncertain at this school. It is through the stories of others that we realize the most obscured parts of ourselves. Spring tends to bring reflection unlike any other term, but this is never something to shy away from. An enormous thanks to graduating seniors, from the Mirror, The Dartmouth and across campus we'll miss you when you go, but you helped teach us the things we need to be our own people once you're gone.