Dartmouth, town host Special Olympics meet

Participants walked, ran, jumped and threw as they competed in the ninth annual Upper Valley Special Olympic Games on Saturday, hosted by the College and the town of Hanover. The games, with roughly 70 athletes from seven teams around the Upper Valley, ran smoothly despite bad weather.

One of three regional Special Olympic games that took place on Saturday, the Upper Valley games were the only meet where every event was successfully completed.

Due to intermittent showers throughout the day, most track and field events were held in Leverone Field House.

"Despite the unfortunate weather, Dartmouth has done a wonderful job with accommodating us all," co-director Cote Theriault '13 said. "All of the coaches and athletes were very flexible, ensuring that we could run the best meet possible."

At the opening ceremony, athletes paraded around the track to the Olympic theme song and a rendition of the national anthem by the Rockapellas.

One athlete carried a torch around the track, and an athlete led the athletes in reciting the special Olympic oath, "Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."

"As the athletes took a lap around the gym, everyone else was clapping and cheering," volunteer Maya DeGroote '15 said.

"It had such a positive atmosphere, and I don't think I've ever been to an event where everyone was just so happy."

Track events began at 10:45 a.m. and included 50-meter, 100-meter, 200-meter, 800-meter and 1500-meter walking and running events, concluding with a 4x100-meter relay at 3 p.m.

"Other than the fact that we couldn't spend much time in the sun, the games went on successfully," volunteer Ben Spiritos '15 said. "Being inside away from the humidity was great for the athletes."

The meet offered events for every skill level, like the 10-meter wheelchair race and the shot-put.

Aquatic events were held in Karl Michael Pool and consisted of front stroke, backstroke and breaststroke races and team relays.

"Everyone is excited to try their best and, no matter how well they performed, everyone congratulated everyone else," DeGroote said. "Athletes are competitive but competitive in a fun way, and everyone had great sportsmanship."

Eileen Park '16, a volunteer coordinator, said that nearly 90 volunteers from Greek organizations, athletic teams, clubs and local civic groups participated.

"It was a little hectic due to the last minute move from the Hanover High track to the field house, but everyone helped out and the games went on without a hitch," she said.

There were two award ceremonies for the events, one during the lunch break and another after the conclusion of the afternoon track and field events.

Two Hanover Police officers awarded participants with ribbons and medals during these ceremonies.

"The special Olympians are wonderful," Theriault said. "I think a lot of times the community is forgotten, especially as an athletic community, so it is wonderful to see how hard they work and how inspiring they are. Just getting to know the athletes and putting on a good meet for them is why I keep coming back."

Special Olympics New Hampshire field services manager Tom Charbono said he admires the number of Dartmouth students who put on the Summer Games.

"I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of volunteers last year, and I've been told it went just as well yesterday," he said. "Our student leaders were extremely organized and they made the regional a great success."

Participants in the Special Olympics, from Claremont, Drewsville, Norwich, Fairlee, Hanover and Woodsville, have to be at least eight years old and compete in open events of mixed ages and genders.

Many athletes in Saturday's games were competing for spots at the state level, which takes place later this month.

The Monadnock Regional in Keene was canceled yesterday due to the rain.

The Special Olympics USA National Games will be held in Princeton, N.J. next June.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction

Correction: May 13, 2013

**A previous version of this article stated that an organizer led the oath, when actually it was one of the athletes*