Concerts, student performances planned for Green Key

5.17.13.GK.WindEnsemble
5.17.13.GK.WindEnsemble

Despite Major Lazer's recent canellation, students say they are excited for to see his replacement, Shaggy.

Emily Kong '16 said that she was excited for the change of pace that Shaggy might bring.

"It's cool that it's a different genre," she said. "It's not just the electronic rap that's so entrenched in the pop culture of today."

Cody Bell '15 agreed that Shaggy would be a good addition to the Green Key music line-up.

"Shaggy's a legend, has one of the most unique voices, and was part of my music scene growing up."

A number of student groups will perform over the weekend as well. As students crowd into Leede Arena on Saturday to watch Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity's "Game of Thrones"-themed step show, others will gather in Spaulding Auditorium to enjoy the Handel Society's culminating performance or head to Soul Scribes' open mic night. This year's Green Key weekend offers a wide range of arts-related performances and activities for students to enjoy.

Doug Payne '15 said that he is excited about the selection of major artists hosted by fraternities during the weekend. He said that he is looking forward to going to a variety of concerts as they add to the atmosphere of the weekend.

"My house is bringing Afroman and being a big fan of rap it's really exciting," he said. "Everyone in the house loves Crazy Rap' so we're really excited to see Afroman. I plan on hopping around and seeing different artists this is why Green Key is the best big weekend out of the three in the academic year."

Archana Ramanujam '14 said that she found out about Adventure Club from a friend at Dartmouth during her sophomore winter, and they are one of her favorite DJ/artist-pairs.

"Their dubstep remixes are great not too aggressive and they pick good tracks to mix," she said. "They're good for a chill night, hanging with friends. I'm surprised they're not bigger already."

Tiantian Zhang '16 said that she is thrilled for Adventure Club because they are a very hot dubstep group that knows how to put on a good show.

"I meant to go see them at Ultra this past spring break and I didn't get to, so I'm glad that I'll get to see them live," Zhang said. "They're not that big but they definitely know how to get the crowd going, and they're a lot of fun so I think their music will be a good stress reliever from the typical academic routine."

Although only two members of Alpha Phi Alpha are on campus this term, the step show will not be scaled back, with performances by Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, Sigma Lambda Upsilon sorority, Lambda Upsilon Lambda fraternity, Sheba and Staccato. Doors to Leede Arena open at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday.

According to Alpha Phi Alpha president William Hernandez '13, approximately 1,500 students typically attend the show, and he expects a similar turnout this year.

For the first time, the entire event will encompass a singular theme a fun, light parody of Game of Thrones due to the show's popularity among students.

"This is the first year we are doing one overarching narrative, so it will be interesting to see how people view it," Hernandez said. "I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out."

Each performance will take on a group or theme from the television series.

"The main plot of the step show is that every group is fighting for power and control," Sheba co-director Gabriela Maica '14 said. "By the end, all groups will come together and head toward one, unified goal."

Hernandez said the step show holds importance for the College outside of its entertainment value.

"It is a good way for multi-cultural groups, fraternities and sororities to show how positive they can be through dance," Hernandez said.

At 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, the Handel Society will perform Bach's "Saint Matthew Passion" with its 100 singers, a 50-person children's chorus, a double orchestra and five visiting soloists, Hopkins Center publicity coordinator Rebecca Bailey said. A second performance will take place in Spaulding on Sunday at 2 p.m.

The show will present Bach's culminating life work, considered one of the largest and most significant compositions in classical performance. Conductor Robert Duff, who completed his doctoral treatise on "Saint Matthew Passion," said he is anxious to share the work with the community.

"It's a piece that gets done every 30 years given the effort it takes to learn," Duff said. "I look forward to having a better understanding of the intention of the composer, both through the music and its meaning."

The time and effort that the Handel Society has put into the performance is improving their appreciation, student manager Kristen Colwell '13 said.

"I love the music, or at least I'm starting to love it," Colwell said. "It's a sort of thing where immersing yourself in something and learning all of the details, notes and how various parts fit together makes it way better."

Soul Scribes will host an open mic night to allow returning alumni to perform.

"The poetry community can be a little bit isolated in Hanover so it's nice to get outside performers, especially alumni," Soul Scribes president Anna Winham '14 said.

The weekend will also include a number of concerts at Greek houses. Alpha Delta fraternity's Lawn Party on Saturday afternoon will be headlined by DJ Viceroy and feature the student band Chuck.

"This year, it will be a little different because we are on probation," AD president Siegfried von Bonin '14 said. "No alcohol will be served, but it will still be a fun time."

Baauer and DJ Sliink will play at Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity.

Other performance groups did not respond to requests for comment by press time.