June 3, 2024 | Latest Issue

Daily Debriefing

Eight of Cornell University's 50-plus Greek organizations are under investigation for hazing or alcohol violations, The Cornell Daily Sun reported. Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity and Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity lost recognition for hazing violations in January. Sigma Nu fraternity was given a warning and sanctions for hazing, and the university is investigating Chi Psi fraternity and Delta Phi fraternity for possible violations. While administrators applauded the increase in investigations as a sign that students are questioning hazing culture, Greek members have pointed out that these actions might cause risky behavior to move outside of Greek houses and into unsupervised locations, including freshman dorms. Some Greek representatives questioned the university's definition of hazing, calling it too "rigid." Dartmouth experienced a similar uptick in Greek violations this past winter, when four fraternities were placed under probation.

During the University of Pennsylvania's Spring Fling weekend, the Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement, a branch of the Pennsylvania state police, issued more than 30 citations to students for underage drinking, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported. Plainclothes officers entered off-campus parties and issued citations to underage students who admitted to drinking or possessing alcohol, though some students claim they were given citations even though they were not holding alcohol and did not admit to drinking. Some complained that the police targeted small house parties instead of larger, open parties. Officers now have greater access to Greek houses with PennCards, allowing them to swipe into most campus buildings without being let in by party attendees. Pennsylvania recently raised the penalties for underage drinking, with the maximum fine for a first offense totaling $500.

Community colleges face particular challenges preventing acts of violence and providing counselor care to victims and witnesses, Inside Higher Ed reported. Because community college campuses are less centralized than other college campuses, it is often difficult for dispersed security officials to prevent violent acts. In the past few months, multiple community colleges reported violent incidents. At New River Community College in Virginia, a student shot two people on Friday, and a student at Lone Star College in Texas stabbed 14 students on Tuesday. Hazard Community and Technical College in Kentucky and Casper College in Wyoming have also experienced recent violence.