Classes canceled tomorrow in response to protest aftermath

All undergraduate and graduate arts and sciences classes will be canceled tomorrow in light of the aftermath of Friday's Dimensions protest, the President's Office announced in a campus-wide email sent out at approximately 6:37 p.m.

Classes will be replaced by programming in order to unite community members "to discuss Dartmouth's commitment to fostering debate that promotes respect for individuals, civil and engaged discourse, and the value of diverse opinions," the email said.

The decision was made by Interim President Carol Folt and Dean of the Faculty Michael Mastanduno and occurred in light of the "threatening and abusive online posts used to target particular students" after the protest, the email said. Classes were last canceled in February 2007 due to blizzard conditions.

Over two dozen faculty and administration members met this morning to discuss how to respond to the events and aftermath of Friday's Dimensions protest, sociology department chair Kathryn Lively said. Associate dean of student academic support services Inge-Lise Ameer led the meeting, and Interim President Carol Folt, Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson and the student protesters were all in attendance.

In an email sent to campus leaders, Afro-American Society president Nikkita McPherson '13 also said that classes will be canceled tomorrow. An open discussion with administrators, faculty and staff will be held at Casque and Gauntlet society tonight at 6 p.m. to discuss how campus "can move forward collectively," the email said.

Faculty were informed of the backlash after over a dozen students stormed into the Dimensions welcome show at the Class of 1953 Commons Friday night, shouting claims of underreported sexual assault, racism and other issues on campus.

At the meeting, many faculty members had been unaware of the explosion of response on Bored at Baker.

"Many faculty don't even know what Bored at Baker is," Lively said.

Some attendees suggested hosting a public rally on the Green that will be webcast to alumni and others off-campus as well as a formal "teach-in" that will be led by members of the faculty, administration and student body, Lively said.

The confirmed programming will begin at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow with a faculty meeting and run until 3 p.m. Other events include a social justice speaker, a community gathering on the Green and a "teach-in" at locations to be announced across campus, the email said.

A wide range of faculty were asked to attend, including representatives from the women's and gender studies, economics, biology and history departments.

Lively described the meeting as extremely "powerful." The student protesters invited faculty and administration members to read out loud signs they were carrying that included names and phrases they were called on Bored at Baker, Lively said.

**This article will be updated as more information becomes available.*