Beyond the Bubble: Changes in Art

Spring is a time to get inspired and make big changes. This week, the art world celebrated those who made changes that impact our nation and world, from one of film's most iconic critics to a ground-breaking religious leader.

Last Thursday, Twitter was abuzz after the death of Roger Ebert, acclaimed movie critic and entertainment journalist. Ebert has been called one of the most influential critics of all time, reviewing at least of five movies a week for over half a century. He will be remembered for his iconic "two thumbs up" and his close connection to his readers, exemplified by his personal responses to fan mail and outspoken persona.

Another icon of change is featured in the upcoming film "42," to be released on April 12. The movie chronicles the life of Jackie Robinson and his signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers, which marked his position as the first African-American to play in Major League Baseball. Critics praised the movie's realistic portrayal of Robinson's career.

Three books about newly-elected Pope Francis will be released this week. "Pope Francis: Pope of a New World" by Andrea Tornielli seeks to undercover why Francis was elected during the shortest conclave in history. Matthew Bunson's biography, "Pope Francis," compares him to St. Francis of Assissi, while John Allen Jr.'s "10 Things Pope Francis Wants You To Know" encourages readers to live a moral life while keeping a sense of humor.

On April 10, "Clybourne Park," Bruce Norris's Pulitzer-winning extension of Lorraine Hansberry's revolutionary drama "A Raisin in the Sun," begins the "Raisin Cycle," a two-play performance at Baltimore's Center Stage. "Clybourne Park" will be featured alongside Kwame Kwei-Armah's "Beneatha's Place," which together aim to provide a modern-day picture of race and identity in America.