June 18, 2024 | Latest Issue

Daily Debriefing

A recent report on gender and leadership at Harvard University showed that more than 50 percent of the university's student organizations are led by gender-skewed boards, The Harvard Crimson reported. The study, conducted by the university's Undergraduate Council and Women's Center, defined skewed boards as those consisting of at least two-thirds male or female students. The study aimed to investigate gender gaps in group leadership on campus, gender parity in groups deemed "prestigious" and the way students perceive gender in relation to leadership. The report found that a nearly equal number of male and female students lead organizations overall and indicated a correlation between the type of organization and the gender of its executives. General "leadership boards" tend to have male directors, while groups focusing on health and wellness are more often led by women.

A study published by the British Council showed that only 24 percent of American students believe that they have enough information to decide whether to study abroad, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. Fifty-six percent of students said they were considering international study, listing travel possibilities and new culture experiences as key reasons for consideration. Yet only 9 percent of American undergraduates studied overseas in 2010-11, according to the Institute of International Education. The study found that nearly 75 percent of Americans cite cost as an obstacle. Half of the students surveyed said they use the Internet as their primary source for study abroad information, rather than college-distributed information.

Students, professors and administrators at Clemson University took part in "Walk and Roll in My Shoes," an event on Thursday intended to raise awareness about people with disabilities and influence accessibility policy at the university, Inside Higher Ed reported. As part of the day's events, disabled students paired up with administrators and faculty members, who spent half the day living with their partner's disability. Though the event was meant to be positive, some Clemson professors advocated canceling the event because they believed it would encourage stereotypes. Three English professors voiced their concerns to Clemson's student disability services office in the fall, but the university decided to hold the event due to positive reception from students and administrators in previous years.