Students act at Northern Stage

As the spotlight at Northern Stage illuminated, the renowned laugh-out-loud comedy "The Importance of Being Earnest" opened for its second preview at the regional nonprofit theater in White River Junction, featuring a cast and crew filled with Dartmouth students and faculty. This charming playhouse, which has held more than 100 productions since its opening in 1997, is no stranger to the presence of the College thespians and faculty who have contributed to guest lectures as well as productions such as "The O' Myths." The current production, based on Oscar Wildes' play, will run until Feb. 24.

"The Importance of Being Earnest" is a masterfully crafted work of theater that satirizes the frivolous culture of British dandyism at the end of the 19th century. Known for its clever quick-fire dialogues laden with biting witticism, this play has been a timeless favorite amongst theatergoers ever since it first debuted in London in 1895.

"It's a very funny show that has been very popular. Every other line of the play is very quotable," director and theater professor Carol Dunne said. "I think many of issues in the play is also very relevant to our time."

The play follows John "Jack" Worthing (Brough Hansen '06), a landowning aristocrat who is desperately trying to establish his status in society by taking the hand of a wealthy lady in marriage while posing as "Earnest," a moniker that was wildly enchanting for status-hungry ladies of the Victorian era.

He is accompanied by his cohort Algernon "Algy" Moncrieff (Matthew Cohn '08), a dexterous dandy who helps Jack's journey with savvy womanizing advice but later unsettles the process by usurping the same coveted namesake.

After the playhouse's atmosphere dimmed to a complete darkness, the audience members were immediately transported to a setting that was unmistakably Victorian. Prior to the featured production, two tuxedo-clad butlers posed in the middle of a regal saloon with crimson curtains framed by large Corinthian columns.

In the first act, Hansen and Cohn put on a dynamic show that sent the audience in constant roaring enjoyment. Cohn delivered a faithful representation of Wilde's whimsically charming Algy, whose endless body poses and swift articulation kept the audience well entertained. His performance was complemented by the calculated desperation of Jack, whose frivolous solemnity provided endless comedy for the audience. Lady Bracknell (Catherine Doherty) and Miss Prism (Kasey Brown) also dispensed hilarious aristocratic wisdom with skillful affectations.

Talene Monahon '13 made her debut after the intermission, when she entered as the enticingly wistful young ward of Jack Worthing, Cecily Cardew. In this act, set in the backdrop of a luxurious country estate, the delightful collaboration between Hansen and Monahon kept the audience in high spirits.

The play's mannerisms and dictions are very different from the habits of our age. All of the actors said they needed to make individual adjustments in order to bring these historical personages to their full light. The most vital assistance in the play for these actors came directly from Dunne, whose experience and precise interpretations gave the actors a deeper understanding of what their roles require.

Dunne was a former actress with the Cleveland Playhouse and appeared in many local theater presentations. Dunne has directed several at the College, including "Hairspray" and "The Rocky Horror Show."

"For this play I had to make a lot of adjustments, especially playing a character with an English accent," Monahon said. "Being in costumes during practice really helped me to adapt to my character."

Hansen, Cohn and Monahon have collaborated with Dunne in her acting courses and productions. Cohn was a student in one of the first acting classes Dunne taught and has worked with her on several productions at the New London Barn Playhouse, where Dunne currently serves as the producing artistic director, Cohn said. Monahon acted in Dunne's theater department production of "Hairspray" as Penny last year.

"The rehearsal process was wonderful, my first year was her first year at Dartmouth as well, so Carol and I had working experience." Cohn said. "Hansen and I also worked together in my sophomore summer, so the three of us have a natural rapport."

Many of the actors said that one of the biggest challenges of the show was the rehearsal's time constraints. They only began meeting together on Jan. 22, and were required to dissect the play and recite the lines in about two weeks.

"I think [Dunne] is a very efficient problem solver. She puts a lot of trust in her actors and this is important in such a brief production," Hansen said. "The good thing about the play is that it is such a clear story, so it blends to itself quite well to this process."

Overall, the production was a major success, receiving a prolonged ovation from the audience that accompanied the characters long after they had left the stage.

"I really enjoyed the show," community member Kian Kaufman said. "I was surprised that the humor of this old play really got to me. It was one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time."

After this production, Hansen and Cohn plan to work on upcoming shows this summer with the Vox Theater, of which Cohn is the managing director and cofounder. Monahon is currently completing a senior fellowship, which includes one-woman show about Dartmouth's social scene, set to premiere in May.