Roland '16 is named Ivy rookie of the week

Although the women's basketball team opened its Ivy League Conference season on Saturday with a disappointing loss to Harvard University, the game marked a milestone for forward Lakin Roland '16. With two of the Big Green's players sidelined with injuries, Roland left the bench and scored 13 points a career high. Her stellar performance earned her the honor of Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

After beginning at Dartmouth this fall and training over the interim, Roland has emerged as a force to be reckoned with. She had a number of career bests in recent games, including nine rebounds against Villanova University on Dec. 30 and four steals against the College of the Holy Cross on Jan. 3.

Roland, a Jefferson, Ind. native, has been playing basketball since second grade on club teams and school teams. She decided to come to Dartmouth after her recruiting trip during her senior year of high school.

"[Roland] seemed down to earth, committed to academics and had a real love for basketball," women's coach Christina Wielgus said. Roland's first Dartmouth term, however, did not go as smoothly as she had hoped. Like many athletes, she struggled to balance practices with work and her adjustment to Dartmouth.

Even so, her teammates made Roland's transition into Dartmouth much easier.

"The team has made my transition into college thus far wonderful," Roland said. "It hasn't been hard to transition into the team because we all love basketball and have that in common."

In addition to heavier academic demands, Roland had to work hard during her first term in order to meet the fitness level that college athletics require.

"Basketball-wise, I think part of being a freshman is having to adjust to playing the quicker college game, learning what the coaches want in practice and learning the system," team captain Faziah Steen '13 said. "You have to learn to work hard because what is working hard in high school is not working hard in college."

The longer winter interim provided players with a chance to focus exclusively on their playing without the stress of schoolwork. The break was an important part of Roland's development into a stronger player.

"Campus was like our own playground," Roland said. "It was really easy to focus on getting better and we were just with each other 24/7."

After using her Fall term and winter interims to adjust and play basketball at a college level, Roland seems to be ready for a successful term athletically and academically.

"This term has been going much more smoothly," she said.

Roland's coach and teammates have also noticed how she has changed over the course of her transition.

"[Roland] has definitely come along," Steen said. "She was very quiet and shy in the beginning on and off of the court, but now she's kind of blossomed into a more outgoing person."

Roland has also noticed that she has improved while playing at Dartmouth.

"I think I've gotten a lot better here," Roland said. "I've been more focused on post play than I'm used to, and I've become a more well-rounded player as a result."

Roland's passing and scoring abilities, combined with her dexterity, make her a valuable asset to the Dartmouth team.

"She's very versatile and has an innate ability to see the game," Wielgus said. "She's a great passer and a huge competitor. She loves playing the game and loves game time."

Roland has also become a well-liked teammate off of the court.

"She's really funny and silly and one of the sweetest people I've ever met," Steen said. "She's always thinking about everyone else on the team and making sure that they're included and happy. Everyone loves being around her."

For the rest of the season, Roland said she remains committed to helping the team advance.

"I'd like to win more games for the team," Roland said. "It doesn't really matter about my individual steps, as long as we win together."

Regardless of what happens to the team this season, it's clear that Roland's college basketball career is only just beginning.

"She brings a lot of different things to the team," Steen said. "It'll be interesting to see how she comes along in the next few years."