Vann Island

In my first Vann Island column in the spring (devoted readers, remember how my column was originally titled Corey's Corner?), I officially jumped ship from the Indianapolis Colts and hopped on the Denver Broncos bandwagon. At the time of the decision (what up, LeBron), I was well aware of the potential of how good an Andrew Luck-led Colts team could be.

"I understand Colts fans and the excitement around Luck. He could very well do the exact same thing that Peyton Manning did for the franchise he has that kind of moxie and talent." Yes, that's me quoting me. But did I expect it to happen so soon?

Truthfully, the answer is no. At the time, Reggie Wayne was supposed to follow Manning to the Broncos, and I just didn't see Luck having the type of supporting cast to help the Colts turn the franchise around in his rookie season. Boy was I wrong.

Luck's performance on Sunday was something special, something for the ages. And even though I am pretty content with my fanhood flip-flop, as Manning appears to be back to his old tricks in Denver, I would be lying to you if I said I wasn't pulling for the Colts last weekend. And I think that goes for all sports fans after Colts coach Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia on Oct. 1.

A few weeks ago, I touched on the Ravens' Torrey Smith and his incredible game after the loss of his brother. But I think what transpired on Sunday in Indianapolis has to be the best story not just in the NFL, but in all of sports this fall.

The Colts' offseason was tumultuous, to say the least. If you were to look up "makeover" in the dictionary, you would see a picture of owner Jim Irsay's face as he orchestrated a complete overhaul of his franchise this summer. Not only did Irsay decide to part ways with Manning, but he also decided to cut ties with head coach Jim Caldwell and long-time front office guru Bill Polian. It's fair to say that Irsay, Luck and Pagano were starting from scratch.

The rebuilding project seemed to be off to a good start when the Colts, on the verge of a 2-1 start, led the Jacksonville Jaguars at home with 45 seconds remaining. Then Blaine Gabbert broke Colts fans' hearts as he connected with Cecil Shorts for an 80-yard strike to win the game. That heartbreak couldn't compare, however, to what all of Indianapolis felt on the morning that Pagano's diagnosis was reported.

Even though Pagano was in the hospital, you know he was on the minds of his players, coaches and everyone involved in the Colts organization. But Pagano didn't want his players to take the field for him. Instead, all he asked was for them to focus on the task at hand.

"Focus on being 500 by 4:30 p.m. on Sunday," Pagano wrote in an email to the team. "Nothing else. LASER SHARPE [sic] FOCUS. That has to be our mind set."

So in the face of adversity, down 21-3 at halftime, the Colts listened to the words of their coach and took the field with that laser-sharp focus. And I don't think anyone embodied that focus better than Wayne.

I've seen Wayne make some unbelievable catches over his career, but I have never seen him play with the type of intensity he displayed on Sunday. He was a man possessed. The only guy in the stadium wearing orange gloves (orange is the color used to raise awareness for leukemia), Wayne was snatching everything in sight. And with 35 seconds left in regulation, it seemed appropriate that Wayne was the one stretching the ball over the goal line for the winning touchdown.

Like all Colts, Wayne was playing with a heavy heart. But there was definitely an added element when you consider that Wayne has known Pagano for 16 years, since his days at the University of Miami.

The fact that the Colts won on Sunday really doesn't matter. Instead, the thing to take away from this amazing story is that football, and all sports for that matter, are bigger than just a game it's relationships, family and so much more.

And it's hard to do, but every now and then you have to take a step back, put things in perspective and never take anything for granted. That's why when Coach Teevens asked for volunteers for the fun competitions we do during the preseason (karaoke or whatever it may be), I always raised my hand, because who knows what's going to happen next? Will you ever get another chance? It's impossible to tell the future, and Pagano and the Colts reminded us to live life to the fullest and leave everything out on that field.