Security ramps up for weekend

10.26.12.mirror.safetysecurity2
10.26.12.mirror.safetysecurity2

"There will be around 30 officers working during the bonfire instead of the usual two or three," Giaccone said. "We pay special attention to students running around the fire because first-year students are often egged on to touch the fire." Despite recent changes in the College's harm reduction policies, Hanover Police and Safety and Security anticipate that this year's Homecoming will not be significantly different from those of previous years. Since the implementation of the new policies on Sept. 21, Safety and Security officers have been conducting random and unannounced walkthroughs of Greek organizations. However, because of the high volume of registered parties during Homecoming weekend, officers will conduct party checks rather than increase the number of walkthroughs, according to Kinne. Beta Alpha Omega fraternity president Michael Burbank '13 said he would not be surprised if Safety and Security officers conduct walkthroughs during Homecoming weekend. "Even though the walkthroughs are now random, Homecoming seems like a logical time to have one," he said. "In any case, we always want to be adhering to the rules so that even an unannounced walkthrough won't catch us off guard even during a big weekend like Homecoming." Kinne and Burbank both said that it is important for fraternities to staff their front doors and keep track of students entering their physical plants, especially during big weekends. Greek houses need to be cognizant of the risks that accompany opening their houses to everyone, according to Burbank.

"We have a really good, cordial working relationship with [Safety and Security], and it's in both of our best interests to keep everyone comfortable and safe," Burbank said.

The fraternities are responsible for identifying the individuals they are serving alcohol to as well monitoring how much they are serving, Giaccone said.

Considering the increased number of visitors on campus during the weekend, it is important that fraternities monitor who is entering their houses, according to Kinne. "The [fraternities] have been very good about dealing with people who aren't students here," he said. "When someone who isn't a Dartmouth student comes in and creates a problem, [the fraternities] call Safety and Security and we're able to deal with it."

Visitors unaffiliated with the College often pose accountability issues if anyone or anything is hurt or damaged, according to Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity president Will Conaway '13.

With the influx of people and activities over Homecoming weekend, Kinne urged all students to maintain a "heightened sense of awareness."

Since 1895, the Office of Alumni Relations has organized Homecoming events for returning alumni. However, alumni are often unaware of College policy changes that have taken place since their graduation. "Sometimes [alumni] who come back make it a little bit difficult for some of the organizations because they aren't accustomed to the changes that have been made in the College's [alcohol and harm reduction] policies," Kinne said. Dartmouth EMS will also be working closely with Safety and Security during Homecoming weekend, according to Dartmouth EMS president Nicholas Valentini '13. It will staff the bonfire event and increase the number of crews on call throughout the weekend, he said. EMS will also assist nurses in the inpatient department of Dick's House due to an expected increase in the number of student injuries. "It's really hard to predict what we should expect for Homecoming weekend," Valentini said. "All we aim to do is respond quickly and effectively to whatever comes up. [Dartmouth EMS] is licensed to treat anyone students and non-students alike so we urge people to seek the help that they or their peers may need."