Football tri-captains play big part in early-season success

10.11.12.sports.football36
10.11.12.sports.football36

On the field, the trio has led by example. Green is second on the team with 24 tackles and had a key fumble recovery in the Big Green's season opener against Butler University. Since he is the youngest captain, Green said he feels a responsibility to connect with his underclassman teammates, especially since the team is currently going through a "youth movement" with many young players.

"There are a lot of freshmen that are seeing playing time, and as a junior, I'm a part of that process to see the development of younger players," Green said. "I just have to make sure they feel comfortable being at school and being a part of the team. There is a lot of pressure to be successful athletically and academically."

Waggoner, who played in only two games last season due to injury, has bounced back so far this season. Free safety Waggoner and strong safety Stephen Dazzo '15 have provided a last line of defense for a Big Green unit that has given up an average of only 14.8 points per game. In comparison, the Dartmouth offense has averaged 25.8 points per game.

"Of course it's a great honor to be a captain at a prestigious university with so much rich tradition and history," Waggoner said. "I think it's a great honor to be one of the guys that represents the team and know our teammates have faith in me to represent them."

Waggoner said he has taken cues from previous Big Green captains over the years, like Tim McManus '11 and Charles Bay '11, who led the team in 2010 to its first winning season in 13 years, which Waggoner called a real "tipping point" for the program.

"I picked up little traits from each of them," Waggoner said. "I try to incorporate all that in my captainship."

Lahey, the elder spokesman of the group, will graduate in November at the conclusion of the season. In the first four games of the season, Lahey has led an offensive line that has helped Dartmouth rushers gain an average of 137.8 yards per game on the ground and 12 total offensive touchdowns.

"If you look at the offensive line, it's just completely different than the body type and job responsibilities of anyone else on the field," Laehy said. "So to have that kind of representation, to have our position represented in a greater team picture, is a positive thing."

The 6'3", 280-pound starting left guard decided to play on the team for another year after being sidelined last season due to two hip surgeries. Helping injured players cope with their prospects is one of Lahey's contributions to the team leadership.

"Those kids who are unsure about their future can see people like myself and be reassured that their career might not be over and that the hard work that they have put in hasn't necessarily been for nothing," Lahey said.

One of the main responsibilities of the captains is to serve as liasons between the head coach and the athletic department and the team, which includes relaying information about plays and smoothing out frustrations.

"We kind of have an idea of what the coaching staff is trying to do," Green said. "Our job is to continue to maintain an aggressive approach to practice."

Besides attending the coin toss at the start of games, the captains are also responsible for providing advice and direction to their teammates both on the sidelines and off the field.

"At times, it's easier for guys on the team to relate to one of their captains more than a coach or a dean," Waggoner said. "We're all older guys. We've been through a few years at this school and know the ins and outs."

Although the three captains have different leadership styles, they complement each other well to provide the necessary motivation and intensity to achieve success on the field.

"Pat is an integral part of the team," Waggoner said. "Bronson he's a little more outspoken than me. He plays with a lot of heart, and I definitely respect him for that. I am the quiet one, but when it comes to game day, I play with a lot of intensity. I think us three really mesh together well for a good captain group."

Before the season started, Dartmouth was voted to finish sixth in the Ivy League Preseason Media Poll even though the Big Green tied for second in the league with a 4-3 conference record last season.

"There is a little bit of a chip on our shoulders about being ranked so low because, of course, we think we can go out at any time and beat anyone in the league," Waggoner said.

Last week's 34-14 victory against Yale University was the Big Green's first victory over the Bulldogs in the teams' last 10 contests. Yale was ranked one spot in front of Dartmouth in the preseason poll.

"That was really special to come together as a group to take care of that team," Lahey said. "We're looking to continue with that momentum and bring back an Ivy League title to Hanover."