Businesses expect increased sales

10.26.12.mirror.lous
10.26.12.mirror.lous

Homecoming is one of the College's busiest weekends of the year, Dirt Cowboy Cafe owner Tom Guerra said.

"There's [Commencement], number one, and then there's Homecoming, number two," Guerra said.

Guerra said that sales stay relatively constant during the course of Homecoming each year, and Dirt Cowboy's 19-year history makes it well-equipped to handle an influx of students and visitors.

The cafe will increase its supply of hot cider and chocolate milk and place extra staff on the floor to cover the increase in customers, according to Guerra. Bakers and staff will report to the cafe earlier than usual to prepare more baked goods, he said.

Murphy's on the Green and 3 Guys Basement Barbecue owner Nigel Leeming said that the success of the Dartmouth football team may result in an even greater boost in business.

Competitive sporting events tend to draw larger crowds to Hanover, Six South Street Hotel general manager Don Bruce said.

"We are very excited to welcome Dartmouth alumni here for all these big events, in particular the football game against Harvard [University]," Bruce said. "Harvard's undefeated, so we've got our Big Green on."

Leeming said he is used to the surge in business that occurs during Homecoming weekend. In spite of the increase in customers, Leeming said he does not alter his business practices for Homecoming.

"You can't get busier than capacity," Leeming said. "But I'd say compared to a normal weekend, there will be 30 percent more business during Homecoming."

Lou's Restaurant and Bakery owner Toby Fried said he expects Homecoming weekend to be as busy as other major Dartmouth weekends, including Winter Carnival, Green Key and Commencement.

Lou's will prepare extra donuts and crullers so that alumni who return to the restaurant during Homecoming will be able to eat "what they had when they were in their 20s," Fried said.

Lou's servers who have worked at the restaurant for decades are excited to welcome back the students who frequented the establishment years ago, he said.

Leeming also said that Homecoming offers a chance for alumni to revisit Hanover businesses.

"We always see people who had a good time at my restaurants while they were at Dartmouth come back during Homecoming," Leeming said. "Especially people who graduated five, six or seven years ago who have now got kids."

If the weather is pleasant, Lou's will also display its offerings on the street to attract more visitors, according to Fried.

Morano Gelato owner Morgan Morano said that though her business has only been around for two years, she knows some alumni who are eager to revisit her gelato shop this year.

"I think that any Dartmouth-related event has a positive impact on our business," Morano said. "We always look forward to Dartmouth events because they are beneficial to all the businesses in town."

The Dartmouth Co-Op expects an increased number of shoppers during Homecoming, according to store owner Paul Bouchard. However, Commencement remains the best time for the store's business, he said.

In spite of the weekend's parties and events, business owners said they do not expect to face any alcohol-related problems with the College's current student body.

"I think that students up here are pretty healthy," Guerra said. "They've got their feet on the ground, and we haven't had issues with them so far."

Leeming said he is not concerned about students breaking alcohol laws or the possibility of underage drinking during Homecoming. Murphy's and 3 Guys strictly abide by state and federal laws requiring photo identification, according to Leeming.

"Dartmouth students in general have a good respect for the alcohol laws," Leeming said. "We don't really have many issues with the students."