June 15, 2024 | Latest Issue

The Arts Staff offers their summer book, film, music and TV picks

LAURA BRYN SISSON/THE DARTMOUTH STAFF
LAURA BRYN SISSON/THE DARTMOUTH STAFF

Shannon's book picks

While the "Fifty Shades" trilogy still tops the best-seller list, those seeking a reprieve from the creepy coupling of Christian and Anastasia could find a wealth of other summer reading possibilities. This summer marked the release of several highly anticipated novels by renowned authors, as well as a few books for the beach-reading set.

Among the heavier-hitting works of literature released this summer were John Irving's "In One Person," Chris Cleave's "Gold" and Mark Haddon's "The Red House." Released in May, "In One Person" the 13th novel from the author of "The World According to Garp" chronicles the life of protagonist Billy Dean in bildungsroman fashion from his adolescence in the 1950s to his late 60s in 2010. Like many of Irving's works, much of "In One Person" takes place in rural New England and deals with themes of coming of age, ambition and sexual awakening.

Cleave's "Gold," released in July, earned significantly less acclaim than his 2009 international best seller "Little Bee." Chronicling the experiences of female Olympic cyclists Kate and Zoe, "Gold" is a tale of athletic aspirations, romantic entanglements and moral conflicts, but it pales in comparison to the beautifully written and uniquely gripping "Little Bee."

Unlike Cleave, Haddon lived up to readers' expectations in "The Red House." The author of the charming "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" penned a narrative of an English family on a week-long holiday in a country home. Although not as pleasantly readable as "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time," "The Red House" explores more complex literary techniques such as stream-of-consciousness prose. Haddon's latest book does reflect the author's characteristic compassion for his characters.

For lovers of less lofty oeuvres, famed chick-lit authors Jennifer Weiner and Emily Giffin published two new novels, "The Next Best Thing" and "Where We Belong." In addition, "Penelope," a novel about a socially awkward Harvard University freshman, written by 26-year-old Huffington Post journalist and Harvard graduate Rebecca Harrington, has also garnered praise as a beach read with sharp wit and some intellectual merit. Shannon Draucker

Sophia's film picks

For many people, summertime is for light, indulgent pleasure reading. The film line-up this summer, however, was a far cry from carefree beach-time escapism, with "The Dark Night Rises" (2012) defining most people's summer film experiences.

There was a common thread of magic that weaved many of the biggest films of the summer together regardless of whether or not they were set directly in a fairy tale world. The crowd-pleasing epic "Snow White and the Huntsman" (2012), based on the Brothers Grimm story; the heart-wrenching Sundance-winning fable "Beasts of the Southern Wild" (2012), which is set in a post-Katrina bayou community; and the newest work of art and it does look more like a painting than a live-action film from Wes Anderson titled "Moonrise Kingdom" (2012) are each very different movies that all satisfy a bildungsroman plot with an enchanted twist.

These films filled my summer with a roller coaster of emotions. When I wasn't breaking down sobbing watching a young girl feed her dying father in "Beasts," I was adjusting my eyes to aesthetic over-stimulation by a psychedelic singing forest in "Snow White" or sighing over the innocence of (very) young lovers running away to live together in "Moonrise Kingdom."

Despite Kristen Stewart's eternal scowl, "Snow White" provided viewers a beautiful comparison between false and natural beauty in the world, polarized by a gorgeously terrifying performance by Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen and the fairy forest where the jolly seven dwarfs live. The scene that first reveals the forest is one of the highlights of the film, boasting stunning visuals on par with "Avatar" (2009).

"Beasts" didn't leave me feeling happy, but instead fulfilled. Protagonist Hushpuppy, played by Louisiana native Quvenzhane Wallis in her debut role at only eight years old embodies the spirit of the film's title. It opens with a view of the home she shares with her father in the Bathtub, an area below the levees at danger of becoming flooded. Hushpuppy stole my heart from the very beginning when she listens to animals' heartbeats and repeatedly exclaims, ever so wisely, "the whole universe depends on everything fitting together just right."

Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" is as touching as it is beautiful. Each moment is thoughtfully framed and each snapshot is a satisfying visual treat. Pre-teens Sam and Suzy are pure and adventuresome, at least to each other. I could almost have watched this movie in silence the shots were that photographic. A hipster must-see, "Moonrise Kingdom" was the gem of this summer's films.Sophia Archibald

Julian's music picks

With school almost in full swing and football on the horizon, we must all face a sad truth summer is making its final curtain call. Although the 80-degree beach days will soon disappear, I take solace in knowing that the summer music hits, which seem to be some of the best of the year, will always bring me back to this magical time.

After a June in which I could not escape the unbearably catchy Carly Rae Jepsen, July brought about two of my favorite albums of the year, coincidentally released on the same day. Although very different in both genre and style, the Dirty Projectors' "Swing Lo Magellan" and Frank Ocean's "Channel Orange" top my list of the summer's music.

The soulfully pop "Channel Orange" was an album that took a few listens to get into, but it eventually became one of my summer soundtracks. Although I am not a fan of every song on the 16-track album, "Bad Religion" and "Thinkin Bout You" are two I still find myself listening to on a daily basis. The majority of "Channel Orange" is sophisticated and smooth and is sure to be a jam of mine far into the 2012 school year.

After three years of hibernation, the Dirty Projectors bounced back onto the indie music scene with this second quirky and sweet album, "Swing Lo Magellan," and they bounced back with a hit. With the oddly lovable love song "Dance For You" and eccentrically catchy "Gun Has No Trigger," the Projectors' sophomore effort is a winner and has been rightfully met with great reviews across the board.

Although released late in the summer, Bloc Party's new LP "Four" definitely deserves a shout out. A little slower and more alt-rock than most of the band's discography to date, the album rivals "Silent Alarm" as my all-time favorite of theirs. It is definitely worth a listen and fits right up there with my summer favorites.

Even though summer is quickly ending, it's nice to know that the hits released in June, July and August will bring back fond memories throughout the rest of the year and if we're lucky, they might just help us all through the frigid Hanover winter.Julian Danziger

Dana's TV picks

Summer TV thankfully leaves audiences excited for the fall as returning and premiering series have only just begun to get into full swing. This summer was filled with both premieres and the continuations of many breakthrough and experimental series.

The highly acclaimed drama series "Breaking Bad" returned with its fifth and final season, after an explosive fourth season finale last fall. The last season will be split into two eight-episode chunks with the second half premiering in 2013, giving the writers more time to create a worthy ending for the anti-hero Walter White and his family.

"Breaking Bad" has always been controversial, but producer Vince Gilligan really pushed the limits this season with White continuing down a complex and morally wrong track to try to keep his family safe and still together.

Comedian Louis C.K. returned with the third season of his brutally honest series "Louie." Looking to keep up with his persona of not giving a f*ck while also trying to be a single dad with two daughters, "Louie" pleases audiences with its hilarious, fresh and heavy content. Viewers can be both shocked and satisfied by his character, which ultimately will keep them watching.

There were also big premieres this summer, including the miniseries "Political Animals," starring Sigourney Weaver in her role as the fictional former First Lady Elaine Barrish, who draws inspiration from Hillary Clinton. The miniseries, which premiered in July and concluded in August, offers a look at what the White House can do to a family.

Additional summer premieres included Charlie Sheen's new series "Anger Management," based off of the 2003 Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler flick, and Aaron Sorkin's "The Newsroom," starring Jeff Daniels as Will McAvoy, which takes viewers behind the scenes of a cable news show anchored by McAvoy.

Shows to look forward to this upcoming fall include the final season of "30 Rock," the musical drama "Nashville" starring Connie Britton as a country legend trying to hold onto her career and Hayden Panettiere as the young superstar and, of course, "The Mindy Project," starring Dartmouth alumna Mindy Kaling '01 as a young doctor trying to deal with her life when it does not live up to the standards of a romantic comedy.Dana Venerable