June 15, 2024 | Latest Issue

Now Playing in Hanover

Based on the novel of the same name, "Savages" is an action thriller that tells the story of California entrepreneurs and best friends Ben (Aaron Johnson) and Chon (Taylor Kitsch), who run a thriving business growing highly sought-after marijuana. Ben, a low-key Buddhist, and Chon, an ex-Navy SEAL and mercenary, are not only business partners but are also both in love with Ophelia (Blake Lively). All is well in their Southern California town until the Mexican Baja Cartel invades, demanding that the trio partner with them. To everyone's surprise, Ben, Chon and Ophelia give Elena (Salma Hayek), the ruthless leader of the cartel, a run for her money, proving to be a formidable force against the vicious group. Diana Ming

Directed by: Oliver StoneWith: Johnson, Kitsch, Lively, Hayek131 MinutesRated RWhile flashy and fun, "Savages" is just too violent. Between the questionable love triangle of Ben, Chon and Ophelia and the lead males' budding bromance, Stone's portrayal of the underground drug industry is ultimately muddled, messy and confusing. While "Savages" is surely intended as a summer escape, it leaves viewers wanting more substance. Instead of using "Savages" as an opportunity to comment on the geopolitics of the drug market, Stone opts for shootouts, crime and not much more. Diana MingIt's always great to see a female character have two boyfriends without facing any moral qualms, and Hayek is deliciously evil as the cartel boss Elena. "Savages" loses most of its steam, however, when it veers away from character development and devolves into mindless explosions and grotesque torture. Although it starts off promisingly with John Travolta's portrayal of a corrupt Drug Enforcement Officer, "Savages" relies too heavily on the violence and does not finish strong. Katie SinclairAlso playing: "The Dark Knight Rises," "Brave" and "Moonrise Kingdom"