June 15, 2024 | Latest Issue

Now Playing in Hanover: 'The Raven'

"The Raven" is a historical thriller about the pursuit of a serial killer whose crimes seem to mimic the plots of Edgar Allan Poe (John Cusack) stories. When a detective (Luke Evans) discovers that a horrific double murder in Baltimore was committed in a style very similar to a death described in one of Poe's works, he teams up with Poe to solve the mystery. Similar deaths in the style of Poe's works continue to occur, however, and Poe also becomes a suspect. The murders begin to even threaten Poe's own loved ones, and he has no choice but to use his own deductive skills to solve the case and save those closest to him. Marina Shkuratov

Directed by: James McTeigueWith: Cusack, Evans and Alice Eve111 minutesRated R

"The Raven" was the perfect mix of suspense, historical context and Poe's original stories. I did not enjoy the gratuitous violent and gory scenes, but they were well-balanced with moments of clever humor. I was also not a fan of Cusack in his lead role, but the supporting cast did find success.
Sydney Ayers

Thrill seekers and literature nerds alike will enjoy this fictional tale of Poe's final days, which follows a series of muders in Baltimore. The formulaic, gripping storyline and genuinely unexpected plot twists evoke director McTeigue's now-classic film, "V for Vendetta" (2006). Fans of period drama will also appreciate the depictions of 19th-century newsrooms, taverns and theaters.

Shannon Draucker

A must-see, this mysterious historical fiction film highlights Poe's most famous works and the possible effects his stories could have on people through a series of twisted Poe-inspired murders. In my opinion, Cusack plays a brilliant Poe, the ending of the film is shocking yet brilliantly tied to the beginning and overall it entertains with few boring or confusing scenes. I suggest seeing it more than once! Dana Venerable