June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Petition circulates to prospective students

A group of students, identifying themselves as "Concerned Students of Dartmouth," collected the signatures of 163 admitted students and their parents who were concerned about the Greek system on campus as part of a larger initiative to encourage students, alumni, faculty, the Board of Trustees and the administration to think critically about the College's social system, according to petition organizer Nina Rojas '13.

During Dimensions of Dartmouth, the group distributed a letter describing their interest in confronting the issues of hazing, sexual assault, alcohol abuse, single-sex social spaces and a lack of accountability, and they asked people to sign the petition. The members also handed out a packet of articles from The Huffington Post, The Boston Globe and other news outlets pertaining to social issues at Dartmouth, according to Rojas.

"What I just really want is for us to critically think about our system and put all our options on the table," Rojas said, stressing the importance of changing the campus social structure for future generations of Dartmouth students.

The College does not address how issues such as sexual assault, hazing and binge drinking are "structurally institutionalized," and students are attracted to join fraternities and sororities because of social pressure or the possibility of job offers, according to organizer Dani Valdes '13.

Options to consider include converting Greek houses into residential housing, changing single-sex Greek houses into coed spaces, abolishing the Greek system completely or implementing open membership at Greek organizations, according to Rojas.

Concerned Students of Dartmouth reached out to prospective students because they would be considering issues surrounding Dartmouth's social life in determining their college choice, according to Rojas.

"It was important to collect these petition signatures so students, administrators and the Board of Trustees know that the Greek system and the way things are is affecting our reputation and the kind of students Dartmouth attracts and ultimately enrolls," she said.

In addition to collecting signatures outside of Collis Center, the group promoted their message at several prospective parent receptions during Dimensions, including the "Partnering to Build a Responsible and Inclusive Community" event that was held on April 20. The panel was created in response to issues associated with Dartmouth social life that have recently garnered significant media attention, Admissions Office intern Chris O'Connell '13 said.

Because the group felt the panel did not adequately address the Greek system, members made a statement to the audience and spoke to many attendees after the event, according to Rojas.

Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson, who facilitated the admissions panel, said she appreciated Concerned Students of Dartmouth's broad engagement.

"It signals how much the students here really care about this community," she said.

Johnson said she accepts different approaches to addressing campus problems as long as they are civil and respectful.

"I didn't find their approach disruptive," Johnson said. "It may have been more aggressive than other approaches, but it wasn't uncivil, and at least from what I witnessed, it wasn't disrespectful."

O'Connell, who was present at the panel, said he took issue with the group's disruptiveness at the event.

"It was very strategic of them to target prospective students and parents because that is a group of people that the College pays a lot attention to, but I'm not sure that particular event was the best venue to interrupt," he said. "Many parents and students were willing to have those conversations in more informal settings."

Duncan Hall '13, a panelist at the event, said that while Concerned Students of Dartmouth interrupted the panel, the group had good intentions.

"Having people aware of the issues when coming to any organization is good because then people can make an informed judgment," he said.

Valdes said she was shocked when a prospective parent told her that her son was not attending Dartmouth due to issues with campus social life.

"I didn't try to dissuade [prospective students and parents] from coming to Dartmouth at all," she said. "We were just talking about issues that Dartmouth students face and most students on every campus face."

Valdes said it was "really inspiring" to discuss campus social problems with prospective students and parents.

"I feel like Dartmouth students are desensitized towards issues of sexual assault and acts of violence towards themselves," she said.

Dani Levin '12, whose Jan. 30 opinion column published in The Dartmouth was included in the packet of articles distributed by the group, said that while she applauds the students for continuing the conversation on important issues, she would not have targeted prospective students.

"Talk to them once they've committed to Dartmouth because doing this affects who comes here, and there's a danger you self-select for people who want to perpetuate these kinds of power-imbalanced systems," she said.

Rojas said she does not think that their efforts will affect the admissions yield for the Class of 2016.

"Some of those parents and students have already committed to coming to Dartmouth, and others will ultimately in the end choose Dartmouth based on other factors," she said.

Rojas said it is important for prospective students to understand issues involving fraternities and sororities because they pervade all areas of campus life.

"Sexual assault, alcohol abuse and hazing happen are experienced by members at every house, and every Dartmouth student is affected by these problems whether it be through themselves or close friends, especially if they are an upperclassman," Rojas said.

Concerned Students of Dartmouth is planning to set up meetings with student campus leaders to determine how to best approach the administration, according to Rojas. The group also plans to connect with faculty and alumni, hold an open campus meeting and potentially plan an event for First-Year Family Weekend, Rojas said.

"[The solution] should include internal changes by the students and also structural changes by administrators that will fundamentally alter the way the culture works," Rojas said. "This is the best moment possible to think about the way the campus is structured and how we can make it fundamentally better."