Nick Schwieger '12 signs with Rams

Nick Schwieger '12 leaves Dartmouth as the program's all-time leader in rushing yards with 3,150.

For Schwieger, playing in the NFL has been a lifelong dream.

"Nick came to me when we was about six years old and said, Dad, I'm going to play in the NFL when I grow up,'" his father Hans Schwieger said. "With his drive and determination, he was able to accomplish that goal. He's a very hard worker, and this couldn't have happened to a better kid."

Schwieger will not be the only Dartmouth alumnus working for the Rams next year. Former Big Green safety Tony Pastoors '10 and Kevin Demoff '99 Tu '06 both work for the Rams' front office and were involved in signing Schwieger. Demoff currently serves as the team's executive vice president of football operations and chief operating officer.

"He's a great kid, and we're really excited that he signed with us," Pastoors said. "Schwieger's productivity speaks for itself. You don't rewrite the Dartmouth record book by accident. We were looking for people who can make plays, and he's done that for four years at Dartmouth."

Pastoors called Schwieger himself to inform him of the team's interest. Although the Rams did not intend to draft Schwieger, the organization planned to sign Schwieger if he went undrafted. Following the conclusion of the draft, Demoff reached out to Schwieger and extended an offer.

"It was great to hear the news at home," Schwieger said. "I had all my family there. I never thought I would be in that position. It was pretty surreal."

Although he agreed to play for the Rams, Schwieger is not guaranteed a spot on the roster. Before the season starts, NFL teams can have up to 90 players on their rosters. The week before the first game, teams must cut down their rosters to 53 full-time players and an additional eight practice squad players.

Over the weekend, St. Louis signed four rookie running backs. Schwieger will be joined by fourth-round selection Isaiah Pead of the University of Cincinnati, seventh-round selection Daryl Richardson of Abilene Christian University, and another undrafted rookie free agent. All-Pro running back Steven Jackson will remain the Rams' primary back, but the rookies will compete for playing time in certain situations, such as third-down passing scenarios.

Schwieger's versatility greatly enhances his chances of making the final roster in the fall, according to Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens. In addition to his ball-carrying ability, Schwieger was often used in Dartmouth's passing game, hauling in 71 career passes for 440 yards. Schwieger also has experience returning kicks for the Big Green and threw a 62-yard touchdown pass in a game against Brown University in 2010.

"He's a very passionate player and his hard work has paid off," Teevens said. "He's as good as anyone that I've had. I coached Earnest Graham, who had a long career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Schwieger is just as capable. He can motion out of the backfield, and he has great hands. He's the complete guy."

Schwieger is one of the most successful running backs to wear the Dartmouth green. In his career, he amassed 3,150 yards on the ground and 4,115 all-purpose yards, both Dartmouth records. In 2010, he won the Bushnell Cup which is given annually to the Ivy League Player of the Year. In his senior season, Schwieger lead the Big Green to a tie for second place in the Ivy League and a conference record of 4-3, Dartmouth's best since 2003. His 2011 campaign earned him Third Team AP All-American honors and the Bulger Lowe award, which is given to the top Division-I offensive and defensive players in New England.

"Nick's work ethic is second to none," Dartmouth running back coach Chris Wilkerson said. "I knew from early on that he wanted an opportunity to compete in the NFL. It was a goal of his, and he worked extremely hard to get here. He's the best running back that I've had the opportunity to work with so far."

Several other Ivy League players will compete for roster spots on NFL teams. Columbia University offensive lineman Jeff Adams signed with the Dallas Cowboys, Harvard University offensive lineman Kevin Murphy signed with the San Francisco 49ers and Yale University defensive lineman Jake Stoller signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Schwieger will travel to St. Louis to attend the Rams rookie mini-camp the weekend of May 12. While there, Schwieger will become acclimated to the team and organization and begin training for next year. Following the camp, Schwieger will return to Dartmouth to complete his history major. After graduation, Schwieger will spend the rest of the summer training in hopes of making his NFL debut in the fall. The Rams will open its regular season on the road against the Detroit Lions on September 9.