Kantaria: Presidential Candidate Statement

We've seen Student Assembly insiders in the past promise that they have the solution, but the results speak for themselves. It is time that we bring a fresh perspective to our student government, one that empowers students across this community. I, along with my running mate Julia Danford, promise to be the agents of change our campus needs.

There are three steps we will take to ensure that student voices are finally heard.

First, we will fix our broken Student Assembly. We need a student government that truly represents all communities at Dartmouth. Our plan to revamp the Assembly creates liaisons from student organizations who serve as the direct link between the communities they represent and the Assembly. This liaison system will make the Assembly a forum where all communities are represented. These students from across campus will sit at the same table and ensure the issues of their respective communities are heard and addressed. Admittedly, I am not an expert on all issues facing the student body. With this new structure, students who truly understand the issues facing their communities can bring their expertise to the Assembly.

We pledge to bring accountability and transparency to our student government, two ideas that have long been ignored. A new Assembly website will include a universal calendar of all events happening at Dartmouth, minutes and videos of Assembly meetings and discussions, a drop-box where students can voice concerns and descriptions of all committees and policy issues. We will also use social media, posters and The Dartmouth to keep students fully engaged.

Second, we will improve student-administration communication. The Assembly president represents the student body to the administration. Having served as president of the Class of 2013 and sitting on administrative committees, I understand the complexities of dealing with administrators with unique priorities. I will leverage these past experiences and my established relationships with administrators to create a direct link between students and administrators. Julia and I will do this by implementing twice-a-term forums in which student questions are solicited through an online crowdsourcing tool and the recurring questions are posed to the administration in a public forum. Through these forums, students will directly influence administrators and hold them accountable to their promises.

Third, with a well-functioning student government, together we will tackle major student issues, including the issues you the students bring to the Assembly through the liaison system. Our vision for Dartmouth includes a new freshman peer advising system, non-Greek social spaces and a revitalized course guide. Our Student Assembly, which brings student organizations together, will collaborate to address sexual assault and meet the needs of affinity groups on campus. No issue will be ignored.

By implementing the specific changes outlined above, we will create a student government that truly listens to the student body, that serves as a forum for community members, that communicates student needs to the administration and that finally brings the change that we've needed for so long to Dartmouth.

We are honored that the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, which represents all student-athletes at Dartmouth, chose to support our campaign of reform.

We hope that on Monday, you will also support us. We cannot do this alone. We need your help to revitalize our Student Assembly. Support Suril and Julia and let your voice be heard once again.

**Suril Kantaria '13 is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.*