Hollisto's World

Now that the winter is finally behind us, we can finally enjoy all that Dartmouth has to offer. It's still a little nippy outside, but I'm sure the good weather will come barreling in faster than a Harvard grad chasing an insider trading opportunity. In the spirit of the season, I've decided to publish my termly to-do list a few weeks early.

1. Check Out the New Softball Field

Dartmouth has pretty much maxed out its capabilities for building new athletic facilities. After the recent addition of lights to the football field, the completion of the new baseball park and the addition of the Floren Varsity House, the softball field was the only facility that needed an immediate upgrade. In case you don't know where it is, the new Dartmouth Softball Park is located right by the soccer field. There are four home games this weekend (two on Friday and two on Saturday), so you have plenty of opportunities to help christen the new field.

1. Heckle at a Baseball Game

While I'm on the subject of games played with a ball and a bat (sorry cricket, this is America and nobody cares about you), I have to emphasize the joy of heckling during baseball. I've written extensively about heckling in the past, so I'll just sum up the two most important rules no swearing and keep it classy. As fans, it's our duty to symbolize the concept of home field advantage. A few choice words about an opposing pitcher's throwing motion can be the difference between a strikeout and a home run. There are four baseball games this weekend, so get out there, get rowdy and will the Big Green to victory.

1. Play Intramural Softball

Some of my best and worst memories of my Dartmouth career are embedded deep within the grass and dirt of the intramural softball fields. In IM softball, I hit my first ever home run. In my years of Little League, I was always too small to jack a ball over the fence. I'm happy I managed to snag a homer at least once in my lifetime I know I'll never forget the feeling of the ball hitting my bat. I've also been massacred on that same field, losing 31-6 to guys whom I thought were my friends. Bad memories aside, IM sports are a great way to bond with your frat, freshman floor or that random group of people you met at the Hop one day. Even if your team sucks, every game is an enjoyable experience.

1. Play Wiffle Ball on the Green

I promise that this is the last bat and ball section, but I couldn't publish this without broadcasting the joys of whiffle ball. You don't need a large group of people to play you simply need a pitcher and a batter. The beauty of wiffle ball is that it appeals to both beginners and experts alike. Some people love manipulating the ball like a Manchurian Candidate I have friends who can make pitches spin more than your head after a long night spent fratting. I have other friends who are content to just make contact with the ball. Topside seems to have an endless supply of bats and balls so the materials are never hard to find. Trust me, it's worth the money.

1. Run Outside

I'm from Florida, so I naturally hate any weather that requires me to wear sleeves. As a result, I tend to put on a few pounds during the season when it gets dark before 5 p.m. Take advantage of the great weather and jog to new places around town that you've never been before. It's surprisingly hard to get lost around here, and you will be amazed at all the cool locations around our sleepy college town.

1. Slip 'N Slide

A Dartmouth Spring term is never complete without at least one frat making a makeshift slip 'n slide out of a plastic tarp, a bucket of liquid soap and a garden hose. While it may not be the safest decision you'll ever make, it will be one of the more enjoyable. I've never seen anyone get (seriously) injured while riding, so let loose and enjoy yourself. The best part about Dartmouth slip 'n slides is that bathing suits are optional. I am in no way advocating nude slip 'n sliding (although I've seen it done) I'm simply saying it is perfectly fine to slide down the tarp in your clothes. Dartmouth is the self-proclaimed "Flair Capital of the Upper Valley," and I'm sure that no one will really mind if you walk around campus wetter than Shamu.

If you can't tell, I love Spring term. I'm a senior so this is my last rodeo, and I plan on enjoying it thoroughly.