Security, EMS prepare for weekend

Despite the absence of snow and below freezing temperatures and therefore the cancellation of traditional events that pose a risk of injury Safety and Security and Dartmouth Emergency Medical Services both plan to staff additional patrols during Winter Carnival, according to representatives from each organization. Hanover Police will not make special provisions for the weekend, according to Chief of Hanover Police Nick Giaccone.

At least two additional patrols will be posted for each night of the weekend, Kinne said. The abundance of planned social events and the profusion of alumni returning to campus contribute to the need for extra precautions, he said.

"We know there are going to be a lot of parties, so it's been pretty routine that we staff up for these big weekends," Kinne said.

He also said that officers will be present at "a number of events" over the course of the weekend, such as the annual Polar Bear Swim at Occom Pond.

"We'll be helping to make sure that it's a safe event," Kinne said. "We want to help keep people safe with everything from alcohol emergencies to medical emergencies." Kinne also stressed the importance of dressing warmly during Winter Carnival, especially at night.

"It's a big party weekend, we recognize that, so you should take normal precautions," Kinne Said. "But it's also winter, and there's a risk of hypothermia if someone is out there not clothed properly."

Tucker Ward '12, director of Dartmouth EMS, a student-run basic life support squad, said the group will staff an additional three-person crew throughout the weekend and will post another emergency medical technician in the inpatient department at Dick's House in order to provide more support to students.

Dartmouth EMS usually has only one EMS crew on call for each 12-hour shift, which runs from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.

The crew, which usually consists of two licensed EMTs and a third member who is in training, works closely with Safety and Security to respond to emergencies.

Ward said that the increased Dartmouth EMS presence is a necessary precaution for Winter Carnival.

"Big weekends are a little above the baseline, and we usually see more calls for assistance," Ward said.

Dartmouth EMS will also support various Winter Carnival festivities, some of which can be "relatively high-risk" and occasionally result in student injuries, according to Ward.

Ward described the role of Dartmouth EMS as primarily ensuring student health.

"First and foremost, we're a medical squad and a patient advocate," Ward said. "I wish we could staff more crews all of the time, not just the big weekends."

In contrast, Giaccone said that the Hanover Police Department will not alter their normal routine for Winter Carnival.

"We've found out from past years that the normal weekends are often busier than when things are scheduled," Giaccone said. "Things that are scheduled usually have more control over them."

When asked about Giaccone's approach to Winter Carnival, Kinne said that one contributing factor to the Hanover Police's strategy is that most of the weekend's events happen on campus, which is primarily the concern of Safety and Security. Kinne also noted the impact of students' actions during Winter Carnival on their physical and mental health.

"I always recommend that if students do everything in moderation, I guarantee that it will be a safe and successful weekend," Kinne said.