June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Daily Debriefing

A 2011 Tuck School of Business graduate received the highest total starting compensation package of students graduating with MBA degrees last year, business blog Poets and Quants reported last week. The package amounting to $863,000, according to Tuck's recently released employment statistics is a new record for the business school, Jonathan Masland, Tuck director of career development, said in an interview with the blog. The Tuck alumnus secured his job at a private equity firm following an independent job search. Employment statistics released by Tuck administrators revealed a median total pay package for Class of 2011 graduates of $169,000, with a mean of $180,000. The figures include salaries, bonuses, payments to fund relocation, tuition reimbursement and other forms of compensation, the blog reported.

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University President Charles Steger has been dismissed as a defendant in the wrongful death suit filed against him as a result of the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings, The Roanoke Times reported. Special justice William Alexander ruled that negligence claims against the commonwealth can continue. A jury trial has been scheduled for early March, according to The Roanoke Times. Plaintiff attorney Bob Hall has requested that the judge reverse the dismissal, but does not foresee it hindering the case, though the ruling could change the nature of the case from a wrongful death suit to a tort claim against the state, The Roanoke Times reported. Seung-Hui Cho, the perpetrator of the shootings, first shot two students, mailed a package and then returned to kill another 30 and wound more, according to The Roanoke Times. Most victims' families agreed to a settlement from the school in return for a guarantee not to sue. However, two families decided to sue the school, a counseling center, the shooter's family and the New River Valley Community Services board. The hearing is set for Tuesday, according to The Roanoke Times.

A 14-year-old male student shot himself in the face at his middle school in Walpole, N.H. on Friday, according to Boston NBC affiliate WHDH-TV. The school was placed on lockdown and the student is currently in critical condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, according to WHDH-TV. The student smuggled a shotgun into the school and shot himself in front of approximately 70 other students in the school's cafeteria, WHDH-TV reported. The boy's cousin said he had been telling people about his plans to shoot himself all week, apparently as a result of depression caused by a relationship, according to WHDH-TV. No other students were injured in the shooting. Counselors will be available throughout the week to address student concerns, according to WHDH-TV.