Protesters disassemble outdoor encampment

Due to the onset of Hanover's harsh winter, Occupy Dartmouth dismantled its encampment outside of the Collis Center on Saturday, after which its members marched their tent around campus. As Occupy groups contend with the changing weather, the movement on campus and nationwide remains in the early stages of planning its future.

The now-vacant site on the corner of Main Street had been occupied by the local branch of the Occupy Wall Street movement since Oct. 13. Protestors who filled the tent during Fall term and the winter interim said the dropping temperature, which dipped below zero in the days before the site was dismantled, forced them to abandon their outdoor location.

Occupy Dartmouth has begun a "new phase," according to Nathan Gusdorf '12, who has been involved with the group since its inception.

"There's the possibility of an indoor occupation somewhere," Gusdorf said.

The decision to disassemble was made at the beginning of Winter term by the students involved, and College administrators did not play a role in the decision, according to Justin Anderson, director of media relations for the College.

Organization members cited several motivating factors that influenced their decision.

"We realized that between busy schedules and the extreme cold, it would be logistically difficult," Gusdorf said.

The cold weather affected not just the protestors inside the tent, but the number of visitors the group reached, according to Stewart Towle '12.

"We were finding at the beginning of the term that no one wanted to stop by," Towle said. "There are a lot of conversations that need to happen, and they're more likely to happen if they happen inside."

Alison Helzer '14 said that the tent space had ceased "serving the purpose" for which it was intended as a result of the extreme temperatures.

Relocating to an indoor setting would provide a more welcoming and accessible environment, Anna Winham '14 said.

"I think there may be more people who, even if they don't want to join, will come up to us and engage us in dialogue," she said.

Members said they hope a new location will better enable them to address some of the logistical goals of the occupation, such as increasing student body involvement, raising awareness about group events and coordinating the schedules of group members. Composing a schedule so that the tent was always occupied by at least one protestor sometimes became difficult and became a large time commitment for many group members, according to Lily Brown '15.

Several members said they want to stay involved with the movement and its efforts throughout the year. The group's winter plans include holding daily meetings in Novack Cafe to discuss goals and development and to "bring these issues to the rest of campus," Winham said.

Upcoming events may include teach-ins, marches, demonstrations and changes in physical locations, according to Gusdorf.

"Temporarily, there may be a lull in activity," Gusdorf said. "We want to let people know we're still here."

While much of the logistical planning remains "up in the air," the group will continue to discuss its new campaigns, Towle said.

The group may also begin to focus on issues such as the College's investments, labor practices and apparel sourcing, according to Gusdorf.

Students involved with Occupy Dartmouth have continued to communicate with local groups such as Occupy the Upper Valley to remain connected to the broader movement.

"Politics goes beyond the tent," Gusdorf said.

Following the removal of the tent, some students walking by the empty site seemed pleased, while others appeared disappointed, according to Occupy Dartmouth member Deanna Portero '12.

Members said they hope the dismantled site will not lead students to believe the group has disbanded.

"I really hope the student body stays aware of the Occupy movement in general and of Occupy Dartmouth," Helzer said. "I hope they don't think that because the tent is gone, we've given up."

While the group has held onto its tent and may use it for temporary demonstrations, a selection of its posters and other items have been donated to the Rauner Special Collections Library as "relics," according to Gusdorf.

Upon notifying the College of its decision to leave its former location, members of the group "indicated that they would be returning" to the area outside of Collis in the spring, according to Director of Safety and Security and College Proctor Harry Kinne.

Group members said they remain ambivalent about a renewed physical presence and will wait to see how the term progresses.

"If this ends up being less effective, maybe we'd go back to an encampment," Allison Puglisi '15 said.

When the weather gets warmer, the Occupy movement may experience a "revival and second wave," according to Towle.

"I think this movement is about to take off in a pretty significant way this spring and summer," he said.

The members of Occupy Dartmouth are confident the movement will remain strong during the upcoming weeks.

"We're still occupying," Gusdorf said. "That's the kind of thing that doesn't change just because it gets cold."

Towle and Gusdorf will join a panel of professors for a discussion about the history and direction of the movement at 4 p.m. Thursday in Collis Common Ground.