Golfers tee off in annual amateur championship

Orientation.Sports.Williamson
Orientation.Sports.Williamson

"[The tournament] was a bit disappointing because I was playing well enough to win," Williamson said. "One day with a poor short game cost me the second round and almost the first round of match play."

Williamson advanced to face Kent State University senior Mackenzie Hughes in the first round of match play after tying for 31st in stroke play.

Carrying a lead as large as three-up, Williamson eventually defeated Hughes, one-up, to advance to the second round of match play.

"My ball striking was as good as it had ever been," Williamson said. "So I can definitely take positives from the week."

The 34th-ranked Williamson then challenged Biddle, the second seed.

"I hit the ball better than him most of the day," Williamson said. "[I] just could not get the ball in the hole to take advantage of it. It wasn't pretty golf."

Williamson lost three of the first four holes but came back to even the score on the 14th, winning four holes in an eight-hole stretch.

"The first few holes seemed to be a game of who could hit the fewest poor shots," Williamson said. "I was down early in the match, made a nice comeback to square the match, then it went back and forth for a few holes."

Biddle rebounded after the surge, however, and dispatched Williamson, two-up.

"A couple poor breaks and bad shots on 17 and 18 lost me the match," Williamson said. "If the match only counted the middle 12 holes, I won the match easily, but that's why we play all 18."

Biddle was eventually defeated by Kelly Kraft of Denton, Texas, after a contentious 23-hole match, the longest match at the Championship in 11 years. After her win, Kraft advanced to the quarterfinals.

Big Green golfers James Pleat '13 and Davis Mullany '11 also competed in the tournament, but did not advance to match play and finished tied for 81st and 281st, respectively. The tournament's lowest 64 scores after stroke play entered the match play portion.

Pleat just missed qualifying, shooting a one-under in the front nine of his second round before stumbling to a two-over in the back nine.

Marked by consistency and experience, amateur competitions like the Championship are more competitive than regular season play, Williamson said.

"[The U.S. Golf Association] is the big leagues' of amateur golf," he said. "Anyone who qualifies for a USGA event has the ability to put up some really solid numbers on a regular basis."

Williamson said he has had "decent showings" in other nationally ranked tournaments this summer.

"I know I can compete with anyone, and now my amateur ranking is beginning to show that," Williamson said. "Hopefully this will get me more recognition and acceptance into some more prestigious events down the road."

Williamson, who competed individually at NCAA East Regional Championships in May, said Dartmouth's team goal this year is to win the Ivy League Championship.

"Winning individually would be nice, but it doesn't compare to winning as a team," Williamson said. "The guys on the team deserve to win. We just have to stay focused and committed to achieve our goal."

Dartmouth's season begins on Sept. 15 at the McLaughlin tournament in Bethpage, N.Y.