Wang: A Model System

Following the recent gridlock during the debt ceiling debate, many Americans wonder whether politicians will ever be able to take quick, decisive actions. Standard and Poor's has certainly lost faith in the government, downgrading U.S. debt due to fears that lawmakers are incapable of solving the nation's deficit problems. With Democrats not wanting to cut spending and Republicans refusing to raise taxes, it's clear that our fiscal problems will not be solved anytime soon. But it doesn't have to be this way.

Here in Hanover, the College simultaneously cuts spending and raises tuition without the slightest hesitation. Nor would it wait until the brink of default before taking action. No, the Dartmouth administration is very proactive. It forecasts budget problems years in advance, and the billions of dollars in endowment doesn't fool it from swiftly slashing funding wherever it wants. While politicians are always queasy about reducing Medicare and welfare spending, the College readily makes cuts to Dick's House and financial aid ("Kim presides over layoffs, cuts," Aug. 12).

Indeed, Dartmouth has exactly the sort of efficient governance that the nation lacks. Unlike in Washington, where new policies face endless debate, administrators at Dartmouth take action swiftly and decisively. When President Kim's administration learned last summer of potential hazards of swimming in the river, it instantly shut down the swim docks. Lawmakers in Congress make the mistake of announcing the policies they are considering, which draws public criticism that slows down the process. If they kept the decision-making process under wraps (like the Dartmouth administration), interest groups would be unable to bog down bills, expediting the process. The problem with politicians is that they are too concerned about their voters. The College's leaders can act swiftly on policies because they do not have to worry about students holding them accountable. Obviously, students will express distaste for increases in tuition, cuts to services and changes to the dining plan, but aside from grumbling and holding a few half-hearted protests, there really isn't much we can do about what the administration throws at us. Imagine how much more lawmakers could get done if they, too, didn't have to worry about the naive American public. Perhaps, just as on campus, the American public should let its enlightened leaders do whatever they see fit and not be allowed to meddle in politicians' business.

Of course, this goes against the whole government "of the people, by the people, for the people" thing that the country was founded on. But then again, Dartmouth is supposed to be a "student-centered" institution, as proudly described on our website's homepage. While these ideals make for eloquent speeches and nice publicity, catering too much to the general public's wishes can be more trouble than it's worth. After all, if people do not like the laws coming out of Washington, they are free to move to Canada. Just like there are more than enough high school students who want to come to Dartmouth, there are countless immigrants who are willing to give up anything to move to this country.

Of all the members of the Dartmouth community, students are perhaps the most expendable and, thus, it only makes sense that we are at the bottom of the pecking order. Recently, when the College encountered problems switching the email accounts of administrators, the process was immediately stopped ("College pauses email switch after failures," July 26). Of course, when the '13s experienced problems a few weeks earlier, the issues were brushed aside as inevitable. By only concerning itself with people of importance, the College provides a leading example of how problems can be dealt with efficiently and cost effectively.

Now, I hope that no one thinks I am serious about all this. Although our leaders in Washington have their flaws, the democratic process that we hold so dear will always involve deliberation and inefficiencies. Sadly, what we have here at Dartmouth is anything but democratic.