Lessons from "Leading Voices"

In recent weeks, this page has featured an eloquent dialogue on the merits of careers in corporate America. As a student in this Summer term's public policy class that has included visits by several distinguished political figures, I cannot help but see the irony in the fact that these leading figures' lectures took place during corporate recruiting season. While Andrew Lohse ("A Corporate Stranglehold" Aug. 2) demonized finance careers and painted them as mutually exclusive from solving domestic and global problems, this prima facie divide may not be so sharp in reality. Perhaps former Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson '68, the most recent lecturer in the series, is the quintessential example of how those who work for large corporations can proceed to solve global problems.

Paulson's example proves that students can proceed into finance and still give back to society in the future. However, his path of working at Goldman Sachs before proceeding to his Treasury post where he prevented the collapse of the world's financial infrastructure is by no means a common one, and a large share of people who start in finance will stay in the industry. But, Natalie Colaneri ("Corporate Complexities" Aug. 12) asks, what about those traders and bankers who pursue community work in their free time? I'd venture to say that the entry-level workers in finance, known for working long hours, do not spend their minimal free time doing community work. One can only hope that they develop skills and financial security that allow them to proceed to more community-focused roles in the future.

Given the uncertainty that those entering finance and consulting will exit to community-driven positions in the future, Dartmouth's reputation for funneling graduates into corporate America may be disconcerting to some. After all, as an institution of higher education, Dartmouth should strive to produce the next generation of problem solvers and Nobel laureates who contribute to the betterment of the world. This should be enough incentive for Dartmouth's leadership to implement meaningful changes in the status quo.

In his recent column, Brendan Woods ("Recruiting Choice" Aug. 5) states that attracting recruiters from non-governmental organizations and other service organizations will help offset the deluge of students entering finance and consulting jobs. Woods' solution has two major flaws it is unfeasible to implement and simply shifts the burden from the students onto Career Services. While the McKinseys and Goldmans of the world can afford to spend copious sums of money to hold on-campus recruiting events, small not-for-profit organizations just don't have the resources to visit campus only to hire one or two interns. Furthermore, with the numerous on-campus resources, those truly interested students should already be able to find service-oriented opportunities.

The key to any top-down solution is an analysis of the factors driving students to large corporations. A number of students may be genuinely stimulated by finance or consulting. But there may be some students who choose corporate jobs simply for financial reasons. Perhaps these students are seeking financial security or need to pay off college loans. Others will pursue corporate jobs due to the perceived prestige of these coveted positions. These latter two categories of students should serve as the target of any administrative innovations.

If money and prestige are indeed swaying otherwise indifferent students into corporate roles, the College should introduce more post-graduate funding for students to pursue low-paying posts in community or public service organizations. Perhaps by reducing the financial burden and increasing the prestige of not-for-profit work, these fellowships will deter some financially-motivated students from the corporate track to jobs that will enable them to effect meaningful change immediately after college.

The diversity of the backgrounds of our distinguished guests in the "Leading Voices in Politics and Policy" lecture series affirms that no single career path is the sine qua non for effecting change in the world. Dartmouth should enable students to develop an intellectual fervor and follow their passions post-college. More post-graduate fellowships may enable students who would have otherwise turned to corporate jobs to follow their passions and be the movers and shakers of tomorrow.