1-on-1 with Sasha Nanji '13

This week, I chatted with hockey player and Canada native Sasha Nanji '13, honorable mention All-Ivy and third team All-ECAC, who was fourth in the nation in points per game by a defenseman last season. On July 22, Hockey Canada announced the 40 players who received invitations to the Under-22 Development Team camp. The Big Green can claim two invitees Nanji and Reagan Fischer '12.

How long have you been playing hockey? Why did you start?SN: I started skating when I was seven-and-a-half, so like eleven years.

When did you find out you were on the development team?SN: I found out on Friday two weeks ago.

What did you have to do to be invited?SN: Basically, they just watched me over the year, came to a lot of the games, and I guess I stood out. This is the second tryout we were put through all these fitness tests.

How did your family react when they found out you were invited?SN: Both of my parents were really excited and saw that all my hard work paid off, and knew that I wanted it for so long. I have two brothers and they both play hockey, so we're a hockey family.

Does every Canadian kid just start skating?SN: Pretty much. For me, my mom was a figure skater when she was young, so I started out doing that, but after skating, the hockey team came on the ice, I wanted to try that.

What's the best part of playing?SN: Developing friendships. Hockey is a lot of fun, and it makes me very happy. It brings out my competitive side. I love the game it is so much fun to play. If I weren't having fun, I wouldn't be playing.

Where do you want to take your hockey career?SN: I'm pretty sure that for any girl to play hockey, it's the Olympics. There's no NHL. I would like to keep hockey up I don't see my life without hockey, and after I'm done with college, I want to keep playing. But I have to see where it takes me.

What are you studying?SN: I want to be a lawyer, but I change my mind a lot. Maybe sports law, if there's anything in that field. I just love being on that side, or even criminal law. As of right now, I'm not really sure.

What are you doing in the off-season?SN: Normally, after the season, it's off-ice training and running and in the weight room. Sometimes we go on the ice just to keep it up, but we're never really off. If you stop, you're going to get worse.

How to you keep your momentum going?SN: Right now, getting ready for Team Canada, I really want it bad. I know if I work hard now, something amazing could happen in the future. All of this hard work is in the future. I'll have no regrets, at the end of the day, if I put in the effort now.

What goes on at camp?SN: Basically, it's a 10-day camp, and the first two days are all fitness testing. The rest of the time is divided into two teams. You play games and they watch.

What does the camp mean for your hockey career?SN: I get a better chance of making it to the Olympic team. It's pretty big if I make the team. Twenty girls will make it, and 40 girls are invited.

How far do you see yourself going with hockey?SN: I guess the Olympics is the next thing to be able to represent Canada, something I have always wanted to do. I have been working since I was young to make it happen. It would be a dream come true.

When will you know?SN: They watch the beginning part of your season, but they haven't told us when we find out. Until I've graduated from the U-22 team, I'm not sure how it works.

Any nerves at all?SN: I am a bit nervous. It's my first time there. I want to do well, but I'm also really excited mixed feelings.