June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Individuals highlight mediocre team performance at Heps

The Dartmouth men's and women's track and field teams both placed sixth at the 2011 Outdoor Ivy League Heptagonal Championships hosted by Yale University this weekend.

The women's track team had success in New Haven, most notably getting a first place finish from Priscilla Trojano '12 in the Heptathlon, which includes the 100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200-meter dash, long jump, javelin throw and the 800-meter run. Teammate Rachel Pallin '12 placed third in the event.

The Big Green's women team had a strong weekend in the individual track events, as Abbey D'Agostino '14 finished first in the 5,000-meter run with a margin of over 2.5 seconds. Alex Tanner '11 also had a first place finish, turning in a time of 58.57 seconds to take the 400-meter hurdles. Alexi Pappas '12 earned a second place finish in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.

"Abbey D'Agostino had a great weekend winning the 5,000," Nollet said. "She had to break her own record to get that."

The 4x800-meter relay team finished in fourth with a time of 8:45:11, while the 4x400-meter team struggled, notching a seventh place finish.

The women's team also enjoyed strong performances in the field events, earning third place finishes from Malina Simmers '12 in the triple jump and Janae Dunchack '12 in the high jump.

Other notable women's field performances were those of Christi Alexander '11 fifth in the discus throw and Alyson Pickett '12 and Jaclyn Wypler '11 sixth and seventh place in the javelin throw, respectively.

The Big Green ultimately finished the meet in sixth place overall.

David Irving '11 led the Big Green men's team in the field events on the first day, placing second in the hammer throw with a distance of 60.39 meters and third in the shotput with a throw of 16.61 meters. Dartmouth also enjoyed strong performances in Saturday's events from Chris Roe '11, who finished third in the javelin, and Dan Ostrovosky '11 and Bret Gilson '13, who finished in fifth and sixth, respectively.

"Dave Irving was huge," Ben Nollet '14, who placed eighth in the high jump, said. "He had about 47 percent of our total points. ... He's a senior, and he's been working really hard this year and it shows."

In the only track final that took place on Saturday, Ethan Shaw '12 helped the team with a sixth place finish in the 10,000-meter run with a time of 30:44:56.

On the second day of competition, Irving built on his success and finished in third place in the discus throw with a distance of 51.90 meters.

The Big Green also enjoyed a fourth place individual finish by Phil Royer '13 in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, while Steve Mangan '14 finished sixth in the 1,500-meter run to add a point to Dartmouth's team score.

The men struggled in the relays, turning in a seventh place finish in the 4x100-meter relay and an eighth place finish in the 4x800-meter relay.

At the end of the weekend's events, the men's team placed sixth out of the eight League teams represented with a score of 42 points. First place went to Princeton University, which garnered a team score of 196 to edge out second-place Cornell University, which finished with 186.

"We knew this year we couldn't be up with Cornell and Princeton," Nollet said. "We were hoping to get a few more first place victories in events. We were hoping to score around 70 points."

The men's team will compete at the IC4A Championships at Princeton University on Friday, while the women will compete at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships at the same venue.