Touting power and control, Sulser '12 leads baseball's pitching

When the Dartmouth baseball team won its second consecutive Ivy League Championship in 2010, the team's top pitcher was not 6'3", 230-lb power lefty Robert Young '10, a senior who went on to be selected in the MLB draft by the Chicago White Sox. Nor was it closer Ryan Smith '11, who holds the League's all-time saves record. Leading the Big Green was Cole Sulser '12, a right-hander who topped the League in both wins (8) and strikeouts (60) in 2010, while making all but two of his 19 appearances out of the bullpen.

While Sulser pitched out of the rotation in League games as a freshman, head coach Bob Whalen decided last season that Sulser would best serve the team as a relief pitcher because his durability would allow him to pitch multiple games in a weekend series.

"We had a lot of good starters on our team, so [Whalen] was going to have to move someone in the bullpen," Sulser said. "He liked me being able to throw on Saturday and Sunday if necessary."

Sulser validated Whalen's decision, as the pitcher's effectiveness out of the bullpen allowed Dartmouth to register several comeback efforts last season. Sulser finished 2010 with a perfect 8-0 record, a 3.70 ERA and four saves. Perhaps more impressively, the Big Green won 16 of the 19 games in which Sulser appeared.

"He's very much a team guy and was amenable to whatever situation we needed to use him in to help us win," Whalen said. "When he comes into a game, the guys are relaxed and confident, and they feel like they have a good chance to win."

Sulser has continued his success in a starting role this season, posting a 3-1 record and a 2.81 ERA. His 46 strikeouts place him fifth in the League.

Sulser has had several dominant outings in 2011. In a road game against Columbia University his first League start of the year Sulser pitched 7.2 scoreless innings, allowing just four hits while striking out seven. He struck out a career-high 13 batters in a game against Cornell University in early April.

"He's certainly one of the mainstays of our pitching staff in the latter part of last year and all of this year," Whalen said. "He's settled very nicely into his role as a starter this year."

Sulser struggled in his first year with the Big Green, posting an 8.66 ERA in 2009. He has since benefited from Whalen's coaching system, which stresses a pitcher's ability to locate the fastball within the strike zone.

"One of our principles is to focus on fastball command and fastball pitch ability and [Sulser] is very good at both those things," Whalen said. "He can locate in the strike zone and that makes your secondary pitches all that much better."

Sulser has displayed impressive command this season, boasting an 11.5 strikeout-to-walk ratio. He has allowed just four walks despite pitching a team-high 41.2 innings.

Sulser has honed his skills over the past two summers playing summer baseball in his native Southern California for the Western Baseball Association's San Diego Mavericks. He has played in California alongside several Big Green teammates, including Brandon Parks '11.

"Not only do we get to face different college hitters, but you get to work on things that you need to improve upon in the season," Sulser said. "It gives you game situations to practice skills in."

Sulser grew up in Santa Ysabel, Calif., and pitched at Ramona High School, where he found great success both on and off the diamond. Sulser captured a slew of honors his senior year of high school, including San Diego Union Tribune First Team All-State and California Interscholastic Federation Division II Pitcher of the Year, all while finding time to serve as Ramona High's class president. Sulser is now president of Chi Heorot fraternity.

Sulser arrived at Dartmouth after considering several local schools such as the University of California, San Diego and the University of San Diego before deciding on the College's mix of a strong baseball program and elite academic offerings.

"It came down to the fact that baseball will come to an end for me one day," Sulser said.

Dartmouth has been a good fit for Sulser in his first two-and-a half years in Hanover, and Sulser said he hopes that he can help his team continue to rack up League championships.

"Working so hard with the team the whole year, and winning the Ivy League was a great feeling," Sulser said, adding that last year's title was especially satisfying as the Big Green was able to defeat Columbia University even though the series was played on the road.

Dartmouth (19-10, 6-6 Ivy) returns to action this weekend in Hanover, hosting Brown University for a four-game series on Saturday and Sunday.