AS SEEN ON: "Comedy Awards"

Such was the premise of this year's "Comedy Awards," a two-hour awards show that aired on Comedy Central this past Sunday. The biggest names in humor took to the stage in recognition of their talents in an entertainment industry that tends to honor serious performances with the greatest praise and accolades. With such a phenomenal lineup of funny people all packed into one room, it's no surprise that the ceremony was a comedic hit.

Most of the evening's winners were easily predictable Alec Baldwin won Best Comedy TV Actor for his performance on NBC's "30 Rock," "Toy Story 3" (2010) won Best Animated Comedy Film and Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show" received Best Late Night Series.

Much to my delight, "30 Rock" and ABC's "Modern Family" split the honors in the TV categories for the evening, allowing both fantastic programs to gain the comedic praise they truly deserve. I may have cried a little inside when I learned that NBC's "Community" didn't get a single nomination, but I can take solace in knowing it is still the best comedy on TV. No awards show could ever change that.

The film portion of the program was much more of a letdown, not so much in regards to the jokes cracked by the winners, but in the movies that were honored. Tina Fey and Zack Galifianakis won for their performances in "Date Night" (2010) and "Dinner for Schmucks" (2010), respectively. I'm not saying that I don't adore each of these actors in their own right, but neither of these movies deserved, well, any award. Perhaps it was just a weak year in the comedy film industry, and maybe the days of "Anchorman" (2004) and "Zoolander" (2001) are long gone. Thanks, "Comedy Awards," for pointing that out.

Other surprises from the night ranged from high points to complete embarrassments. Watching legends like David Letterman and Eddie Murphy take home some of the evening's highest honors certainly boosted my respect for the show. Those sentiments vanished when Daniel Tosh was awarded "Best Breakthrough Performer." Where was Donald Glover? Seriously, has nobody seen "Community"?

On the whole, it was a fun program to watch. The night's few disappointments were easily overshadowed by an otherwise hilarious ensemble of actors who truly represent the best in the industry.

Do not get your hopes up for a repeat performance next year comedy award shows are notorious for getting cancelled, a la the 2003's "Commie Awards" that only lasted for one year and the "American Comedy Awards" that ran for 15 years before its cancellation in 2001. Even so, giving awards to comedians is hardly a waste of time funny people will always remain important to the entertainment industry, and they should be praised as such.