Richard Fu '13 and DCO gear up for concert in Spaulding

03.08.11.arts.chamberorchestra
03.08.11.arts.chamberorchestra

"I didn't really start liking music for just music until late in high school," Fu explained.

Today, however, Fu is a passionate music lover. In a performance that will showcase both his technical skills and enthusiasm for piano, Fu will join forces with the Dartmouth Chamber Orchestra on Tuesday at 7 p.m. for a free concert celebrating DCO's 15th anniversary. DCO is a completely student-organized musical ensemble that aims to promote student-driven music on campus. Its concert, to be held in Spaulding Auditorium, will feature Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor and Bizet L'Arlessienne Suite No. 2.

Fu said his relationship with music has evolved during his time at the College.

"I came to Dartmouth as a [government] major and I was going to go to law school," Fu recalled. "But now I'm a music major modified with history and I'm hoping to go on to do something in music."

Music professor Steve Swayne inspired Fu to look at music differently, Fu said. The two met during Fu's freshman Winter term, when he was a student in Swayne's Music 41 class, a seminar focused on the symphonies of Austrian composer Gustav Mahler. Since then, Swayne has continued to support Fu's studies by serving as a mentor and audience.

"[Fu] has a commanding technique coupled [with] a sensitive musicality," Swayne wrote in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. "He can be fiery in his playing; he can be soulful, too."

Armed with his new genuine interest in music, Fu is always looking for new musical opportunities on campus. Fu's performance in Spaulding on Tuesday will mark his first appearance with an orchestra.

"This [concert] was almost all [Fu's] brainchild," DCO conductor Matt Forman '11 said. "He was really excited to work more with the orchestra."

The group is regaining musical unity after a few years of disorganization, according to DCO member Nozomi Hitomi '11. Hitomi credits much of this change to Forman.

"I don't think we've worked this hard up until now," Hitomi said. "Part of that is because of [Forman]. He's the best conductor that we've had."

Hitomi praised Forman's personal qualities as well as his commitment to the group.

"He's strict, but not just strict," Hitomi explained. "He's put a lot of effort into this, and so has the entire orchestra."

This performance represents a debut not only for Fu, but for the DCO. In the past, most DCO concerts have been performed at Top of the Hop or in Collis Common Ground. Forman, Hitomi and Fu all said they were thrilled and even astonished by their ability to secure an expansive space like Spaulding for the concert.

Forman said he believes that Tuesday's performance, imbued with Fu's musical drive and the excitement of playing in Spaulding, will reflect the ensemble's founding goal: to play student-inspired music.

"It's a real privilege to work with [Fu] individually, but also to be a sort of conduit for him to share [his musical passion] with the orchestra," Forman said. "We can use the orchestra and its performance to share that [passion] with the audience."

In addition to their intense musical preparation leading up to the performance, orchestra members have also tried to generate more publicity for this concert than they have for previous performances. According to the musicians, DCO is not as well known on campus as some other performing groups.

"I feel like the orchestra doesn't get a lot of facetime," Hitomi explained. "Not many people know about it, whereas people know about the [Dartmouth Symphony Orchestra] and the wind symphony."

DCO members have been trying to spread the word about the show and build on the excitement of the venue, according to Forman.

"I think there will be a fair share of community members, just from Hanover or Hanover families, and hopefully a lot of students as well," Hitomi said. "I know I'm going to drag all my friends to watch."

Swayne also said he hopes for a large turnout at Tuesday's performance.

"I will be there with (silent) bells on," Swayne stated in his e-mail to The Dartmouth. "I encourage everyone to come to the concert and experience live music made by some of the best musicians we have here at Dartmouth."